Newham has the filthiest takeaways in the COUNTRY
PUBLISHED: 13:48 15 February 2017 | UPDATED: 14:17 16 February 2017
Newham’s takeaways have the lowest hygiene ratings in the country, according to official figures.
It’s official: nearly half of the borough’s 252 fast food places score two or below on the Food Standards Agency’s ratings.
That means it’s languishing at the bottom of the league table of 355 council areas in England, Wales and Northern Ireland.
In fact, 11 of them scored a zero rating in their last inspection, which means “urgent improvement necessary”: • Top Favourite, Barking Road, East Ham
• Babylon (AJ), The Grove Stratford London
• Chunky Chicken & Pizza, Green Street, Upton Park
• Divine Flavouz, Leytonstone Road, Stratford
• Dixy Chicken, High Street North, East Ham
• Dixy Chicken, Woodgrange Road, Forest Gate
• Favorite Fried Chicken And Ribs, Barking Road, Plaistow
• Mamma Mia Pizza, High Street North, Manor Park
• Nanna Biryani, Romford Road, Manor Park
• Spice Hut, Romford Road, Manor Park
• Tasty Express, Plashet Road, Plaistow
A study by LoveMyVouchers.co.uk crunched the Fodo Standards Agency’s data found that whilst 100 per cent of North Devon’s takeaways have a four or five rating, London boroughs perform poorly.
Havering, Islington and Ealing, all appearing in the top ten areas ranked by the highest proportion of zero, one and two ratings.
Linda Firth, a director at LoveMyVouchers.co.uk added: “The study was conducted to raise awareness about the importance of food hygiene ratings, as they are not always obvious for takeaways, particularly in England.
“Many of the top food ordering websites do not currently display the ratings, so customers need to be mindful of this when they are ordering food.”
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Newham Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.