‘My blood will save three lives, that’s a great feeling’
- Credit: Nigel Sutton
Investigations journalist EMMA YOULE gives blood for the first time.
Like many people I have never donated blood. It’s something I’ve thought about over the years but just never got around to. So when I’m offered the chance to attend a session at a local church hall, I jump at the opportunity.
There are donors of all ages there and it’s a hive of activity. On arrival I’m given a medical questionnaire to fill in, quick and easy, although I have to call my mum to check the odd detail and am sent to eat a sandwich as you shouldn’t give blood on an empty stomach.
Next a nurse takes a tiny pin-prick of blood from my middle finger to test for iron levels before I’m given the all clear to donate.
There is a mild stinging sensation as the needle is placed into my left arm. But I don’t feel faint or light-headed, the commonest fear among new donors.
You may also want to watch:
Within minutes I’ve given a unit of blood which I’m told will save three lives. I wonder when an hour of my time last made such a difference. The session ends with a 10 minute rest and an array of free biscuits. They taste all the sweeter for having helped someone in need.
To find your local donor session visit my.blood.co.uk/Home
- 1 Architects awarded £300K contract for Stratford Station makeover
- 2 Blaze under control at block of flats being built in Canning Town
- 3 Family of man who died after attack in Canning Town pays tribute to a 'loving, generous' father
- 4 Rumours over empty Stratford estate homes quashed in meeting
- 5 Flights from London City Airport to Switzerland resume as hub readies for return to international travel
- 6 Two Levels FC youngsters seal deals with Football League clubs
- 7 Stratford fast food shop destroyed by 'deep fat fryer' blaze
- 8 Mayor pledges to continue focus on election promises after Newham referendum result
- 9 Pearce believes camaraderie has given West Ham a chance of making Europe
- 10 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation