Fast-track orthopaedic surgery hub to be established in Plaistow
- Credit: Archant
A new fast-track surgery hub in Plaistow will help patients get routine orthopaedic procedures sooner and reduce waiting lists.
Surgical hubs established at Barts Health sites across London will deliver 24 types of routine operations - substantially boosting the amount of planned surgery that can be carried out.
Newham Hospital’s Gateway Surgical Centre will provide five orthopaedic procedures, including hip and knee replacements.
Clinical director Dr Nick Bunker said: “Operations that were cancelled or postponed because of the pandemic are being rapidly rescheduled, and by keeping these hubs Covid-free, we’re ensuring they’re safe for people to be treated in.
“Another big benefit of the hubs is that patients will be treated by surgeons who are performing the same type of surgery day in, day out.”
You may also want to watch:
Staff in the hubs will care only for surgical patients to minimise infection risk.
- 1 Police officer jailed for GBH after injuring man in Forest Gate
- 2 Body found in search for missing Newham man
- 3 Hundreds of customers descend on reopened retailers
- 4 Newham pubs and bars reopening for outdoor service
- 5 Election candidate slams plans for Durning Hall in Forest Gate
- 6 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 7 Tributes to 'hero' charity founder who dedicated life to Newham children
- 8 Newham schoolchildren enjoy holiday activities as part of programme pilot
- 9 Stratford was busiest station on TfL network last year, data reveals
- 10 Santino Dymiter murder: Teens given life terms for 'savage' gang killing