Fast-track orthopaedic surgery hub to be established in Plaistow
- Credit: Archant
A new fast-track surgery hub in Plaistow will help patients get routine orthopaedic procedures sooner and reduce waiting lists.
Surgical hubs established at Barts Health sites across London will deliver 24 types of routine operations - substantially boosting the amount of planned surgery that can be carried out.
Newham Hospital’s Gateway Surgical Centre will provide five orthopaedic procedures, including hip and knee replacements.
Clinical director Dr Nick Bunker said: “Operations that were cancelled or postponed because of the pandemic are being rapidly rescheduled, and by keeping these hubs Covid-free, we’re ensuring they’re safe for people to be treated in.
“Another big benefit of the hubs is that patients will be treated by surgeons who are performing the same type of surgery day in, day out.”
Staff in the hubs will care only for surgical patients to minimise infection risk.
- 1 First Omicron case reported in Newham
- 2 Man jailed for rape after attacking woman walking back from Canning Town
- 3 'London is moving east': City Hall's Crystal move confirmed for New Year
- 4 Warning issued over fake Omicron variant test scam
- 5 'Extremely violent' Forest Gate robbery filmed by onlookers
- 6 Things to do in east London this weekend
- 7 Leyton Orient could send goalkeeper Sargeant back out on loan
- 8 East London man charged with six terrorism offences
- 9 Members of Mali Boys gang jailed for supplying Class A drugs into Essex
- 10 Late Maupay equaliser holds West Ham to Brighton draw