Fast-track orthopaedic surgery hub to be established in Plaistow
- Credit: Archant
A new fast-track surgery hub in Plaistow will help patients get routine orthopaedic procedures sooner and reduce waiting lists.
Surgical hubs established at Barts Health sites across London will deliver 24 types of routine operations - substantially boosting the amount of planned surgery that can be carried out.
Newham Hospital’s Gateway Surgical Centre will provide five orthopaedic procedures, including hip and knee replacements.
Clinical director Dr Nick Bunker said: “Operations that were cancelled or postponed because of the pandemic are being rapidly rescheduled, and by keeping these hubs Covid-free, we’re ensuring they’re safe for people to be treated in.
“Another big benefit of the hubs is that patients will be treated by surgeons who are performing the same type of surgery day in, day out.”
You may also want to watch:
Staff in the hubs will care only for surgical patients to minimise infection risk.
- 1 Plans for new West Ham Park playground approved
- 2 Air ambulance lands in East Ham
- 3 Changes to controversial Newham parking scheme announced
- 4 'It must be urgently addressed': New research into BAME Covid impact
- 5 Violent gang stuff sock in elderly woman's mouth and steal her jewellery
- 6 Leyton Orient boss Embleton could rotate team for Bolton trip
- 7 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 8 West Ham forward Alisha Lehmann joins Everton on loan
- 9 Artist plans window exhibition to put Newham's artistic talent on the map
- 10 West Ham United light up London Stadium for Holocaust Memorial Day 2021