Delta variant accounts for majority of Covid cases in much of east London
- Credit: PA
The Delta variant accounts for the majority of coronavirus cases across most of north east London, according to recent figures.
In the seven days up to June 5 2021, the Delta variant - which has swept across the UK in recent weeks - accounted for more than half of cases in almost all of north east London’s boroughs.
This contrasts with the national picture, in which the Delta variant represented 41 per cent of all Covid-19 cases over the same period.
In Newham, a staggering 68pc of 125 Covid-19 cases in the week up to June 5 were the Delta variant.
Meanwhile, Tower Hamlets experienced the highest total number of cases of all variants in north east London, with 207, and of the Delta variant specifically, with 130.
You may also want to watch:
More than half of cases were the Delta variant in Barking and Dagenham, as well as Havering.
The new variant was relatively less dominant in Redbridge, accounting for just 43pc of the 81 cases reported in the borough that week.
- 1 WATCH: Footage emerges of Beckton Alps ski slope
- 2 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 3 'We haven't waited to act': Newham primary schools extend days to help pupils catch up after pandemic
- 4 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 5 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 6 Views sought on future of Newham as local plan set for refresh
- 7 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 8 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 9 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week
- 10 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
Also known as B.1.617.2, the Delta variant has been linked to a rise in Covid cases in the UK over the past few weeks.
It is believed to have spread more easily than the Alpha variant, according to Public Health England (PHE).
As these figures cover the period up to June 5, and given the increased transmission risk associated with the Delta variant, it is possible the prevalence is now much higher.
PHE announced this week that vaccine effectiveness against hospitalisation for the Delta variant was comparable with that of the Alpha variant.
It reported that the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine is 96pc effective against hospitalisation after two doses, while the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine is 92pc effective with the same dose.
The NHS is currently offering vaccinations to anyone aged 21 and over, and in north east London a mass vaccination clinic is being held this weekend at the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park.
The event will being held from 10am to 8pm, but pre-booking is required and only eligible people living in Barking and Dagenham, City of London, Hackney, Havering, Newham, Redbridge, Tower Hamlets or Waltham Forest can attend.