Leisure centre works: Soft play and gym upgrades in Forest Gate, pool mobility lifts installed in East Ham and Plaistow
- Credit: Archant
Work has begun to upgrade the soft play area and gym facilities at Atherton Leisure Centre in Forest Gate.
It will create more space in the existing upstairs gym areas while a new, programmable gym on the ground floor will allow better access and more specialised group sessions.
There will be new cardio and strength equipment, stretching mats and a Synrgy 360T area.
The new soft play area will offer three levels to explore, including a twin lane slide, rope-bridge, bash bags and a separate baby area.
The upstairs gym area and swimming pools will be open as normal during the works, and it's expected to re-open on Thursday, January 2.
You may also want to watch:
Full replacement of a faulty lift is expected to be complete by spring 2020.
Meanwhile, Poolpod platform lifts have been installed at East Ham Leisure Centre and Newham Leisure Centre in Plaistow to allow easy, independent and dignified pool access for swimmers with restricted mobility.
- 1 Watch the moment 'stolen' car drives into vehicles in East Ham
- 2 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 3 Steven Fry stabbing: Custom House victim named in murder investigation
- 4 Machetes, zombie and lock knives: Five plead guilty after police seize 128 weapons in Plaistow
- 5 Otas Sarkus: Three men arrested after Upton Park fatal shooting
- 6 Depth up front is going to be vital says Leyton Orient boss Jackett
- 7 Jailed: 'Sadistically cruel' East Ham man who raped, assaulted victim
- 8 Protesters target DSEI arms fair at ExCeL London in Royal Docks
- 9 Woman arrested on suspicion of murder after man fatally stabbed
- 10 Silvertown man jailed after police seize drugs with street value of £750k
Councillor James Asser said: "It is very important that we continue to improve accessibility for all our residents so everyone can take the benefits that come from regular exercise."