There With You: Hospitals receive thousands of hot food donations from businesses and cricket stars
- Credit: Archant
King George, Queen’s Hospitals and NHS Nightingale have received kind donations of hot meals from businesses to help them during the coronavirus pandemic.
Doctors, nurses and other staff are working long unsociable hours to provide the best care for their patients during the coronavirus outbreak, and Idris Patel from Supporting Humanity has quickly set up a supply chain with businesses Saffron Kitchen, Gafoor Poultry, Eman Channel (BME businesses).
They have produced, packed and delivered around 1,800 hot meals to all the frontline staff in 14 hospitals across London.
Lint Group managing director Rizwan Patel also decided to start an appeal to raise funds and within 24 hours they had enough to cover all the meals for the months ahead.
“This year will surely go down in history, not just for the Covid-19 pandemic, but for the many ways in which people are choosing to stand together, join forces and supporting each other,” Rizwan Patel said.
You may also want to watch:
“We owe it to the NHS staff who have gone and going above and beyond in taking care of us, it’s our turn to ensure that they keeping as strong as possible and in good health to fight everyday this battle that looks as if it’s here to stay for the foreseeable future.
“On my visit this week, the whole operation, delivering the hot food to Queens Hospital and seeing the efforts of the staff, you could feel the tense pressure the A&E department was under and this felt like the true front line.
- 1 Body found in search for missing Newham man
- 2 Police officer jailed for GBH after injuring man in Forest Gate
- 3 Election candidate slams plans for Durning Hall in Forest Gate
- 4 Newham schoolchildren enjoy holiday activities as part of programme pilot
- 5 Tributes to 'hero' charity founder who dedicated life to Newham children
- 6 Housing campaigners to stage protest in Canning Town over empty homes
- 7 Meet the candidates battling for votes in East Ham's by-election
- 8 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 9 Newham pubs and bars reopening for outdoor service
- 10 Santino Dymiter murder: Teens given life terms for 'savage' gang killing
“So, what we are doing is so little but means a whole lot to those front line staff with doctors and nurses coming to say thank you, it was moving.
“Let’s not forget the people that are making this happen the volunteers that are also risking themselves by visiting these hospitals when they don’t need to be there.
“The comradery of these fine people is infectious and what great spirit they have, last but not least Farhaan from Saffron Kitchen you are a gem of the community, well done all.”
Essex Cricket team have also been helping out in the kitchen and to deliver the hot meals.
Essex star Tom Westley said: “It is really important that we go into and help where it’s both safe and possible. The key workers have been doing an amazing job, so if we can support them in anyway, we will.”