London Marathon: Hospital manager swapping sidelines for streets
- Credit: Barts NHS Trust
Catriona Rowland can usually be found cheering on London Marathon runners - but this year she’ll be taking on the challenge herself.
The Newham University Hospital quality improvement manager is running in support of Barts Charity, which supports the work of the NHS trust that runs the hospital.
Catriona, who lives in Woodford, said: “I love London and I love the atmosphere of the London Marathon. I take sandwiches, drinks and sun lotion to the finish line to support the runners and stay until everyone else has gone home.
“Until now, I could never understand how they did it.”
She took up running two years ago as a way to lose weight and has gone on to encourage others in the hospital to exercise more.
You may also want to watch:
But her main focus is on reaching her fundraising target of £4,000.
“I got £5 off my bus driver and £1 off a lady on the bus,” she said.
- 1 Violent gang stuff sock in elderly woman's mouth and steal her jewellery
- 2 Council rents offices to ambulance service to save money
- 3 Our planet is in a terrible place
- 4 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 5 Police release image after teenager stabbed in Forest Gate robbery
- 6 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 7 What a load of old rubbish: Fly-tippers keep charity staff out of building
- 8 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 9 Arrests after girl, 16, falls onto tracks at King George V DLR
- 10 Arsenal's Women's Super League clash with West Ham postponed
To sponsor Catriona, visit uk.virginmoneygiving.com/CatrionaRowland