London Marathon: Hospital manager swapping sidelines for streets
- Credit: Barts NHS Trust
Catriona Rowland can usually be found cheering on London Marathon runners - but this year she’ll be taking on the challenge herself.
The Newham University Hospital quality improvement manager is running in support of Barts Charity, which supports the work of the NHS trust that runs the hospital.
Catriona, who lives in Woodford, said: “I love London and I love the atmosphere of the London Marathon. I take sandwiches, drinks and sun lotion to the finish line to support the runners and stay until everyone else has gone home.
“Until now, I could never understand how they did it.”
She took up running two years ago as a way to lose weight and has gone on to encourage others in the hospital to exercise more.
You may also want to watch:
But her main focus is on reaching her fundraising target of £4,000.
“I got £5 off my bus driver and £1 off a lady on the bus,” she said.
- 1 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 2 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 3 Worshippers at mosque in Upton Park aim to raise £35k for Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal 2021
- 4 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 5 Tom Hiddleston to appear as MCM Comic Con returns to ExCeL London in Royal Docks
- 6 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 7 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 8 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 9 Man given community order for 26 counts of criminal damage after scratching name into property
- 10 Charity provides free breakfasts for 561 vulnerable families over half term
To sponsor Catriona, visit uk.virginmoneygiving.com/CatrionaRowland