London Marathon: Hospital manager swapping sidelines for streets
- Credit: Barts NHS Trust
Catriona Rowland can usually be found cheering on London Marathon runners - but this year she’ll be taking on the challenge herself.
The Newham University Hospital quality improvement manager is running in support of Barts Charity, which supports the work of the NHS trust that runs the hospital.
Catriona, who lives in Woodford, said: “I love London and I love the atmosphere of the London Marathon. I take sandwiches, drinks and sun lotion to the finish line to support the runners and stay until everyone else has gone home.
“Until now, I could never understand how they did it.”
She took up running two years ago as a way to lose weight and has gone on to encourage others in the hospital to exercise more.
You may also want to watch:
But her main focus is on reaching her fundraising target of £4,000.
“I got £5 off my bus driver and £1 off a lady on the bus,” she said.
- 1 Clean-up underway after flash floods hit Newham
- 2 Flooding causes road and rail disruption across east London
- 3 Fried chicken outlet to open at Westfield in Stratford
- 4 Ceiling panels collapse and operations cancelled at hospital after flooding
- 5 Leyton Orient boss Jackett full of praise for Sotiriou after Magpies win
- 6 The secondary schools in Newham rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 7 Canning Town bus station stays closed as 'urgent' investigation underway
- 8 Canning town bus station reopens after falling glass injures man
- 9 Brilliant moment for Okoflex as he nets in West Ham's win at Celtic
- 10 Boy, 16, found stabbed in Custom House
To sponsor Catriona, visit uk.virginmoneygiving.com/CatrionaRowland