Newham University Hospital receives accreditation from global charity
- Credit: Barts Health
Newham University Hospital’s maternity unit has been accredited by a global charity.
The hospital, in Glen Road, Plaistow, was awarded the Unicef Baby Friendly stage two status - which sees staff working in the maternity unit assessed on their skills and knowledge.
The scheme is an evidence-based programme which is part of a partnership between the World Health Organisation (WHO) and Unicef.
Mary Dwase, infant feeding lead at Newham Hospital, said, "I am delighted that the dedication and commitment of our staff has paid off with these excellent results."
To receive the final stage, and therefore full accreditation, external assessors will interview mothers who have used the hospital's services to hear about their personal experiences.
You may also want to watch:
The Royal London Hospital in Whitechapel - part of the same health trust as Newham - has had full accreditation since 2012.
- 1 The Boleyn Tavern in East Ham to welcome back punters after £1.5m restoration
- 2 11 films and TV shows shot in Newham
- 3 Exploding aerosol cans 'contributed to rapid spread' of Silvertown blaze
- 4 Arrests in Ilford and East Ham as police target suspected county lines gang
- 5 Looking back: five years since West Ham United left the Boleyn
- 6 Primary school recognised for supporting pupils' mental wellbeing
- 7 Free summer school offers music, fashion, hip hop dance and more
- 8 Average house price in Newham slides again after record February
- 9 Richard House Children's Hospice sensory garden equipment stolen
- 10 US burger chain Wendy's set to open first London restaurant in Stratford