Newham University Hospital receives accreditation from global charity
- Credit: Barts Health
Newham University Hospital’s maternity unit has been accredited by a global charity.
The hospital, in Glen Road, Plaistow, was awarded the Unicef Baby Friendly stage two status - which sees staff working in the maternity unit assessed on their skills and knowledge.
The scheme is an evidence-based programme which is part of a partnership between the World Health Organisation (WHO) and Unicef.
Mary Dwase, infant feeding lead at Newham Hospital, said, "I am delighted that the dedication and commitment of our staff has paid off with these excellent results."
To receive the final stage, and therefore full accreditation, external assessors will interview mothers who have used the hospital's services to hear about their personal experiences.
You may also want to watch:
The Royal London Hospital in Whitechapel - part of the same health trust as Newham - has had full accreditation since 2012.
- 1 Watch the moment 'stolen' car drives into vehicles in East Ham
- 2 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 3 Steven Fry stabbing: Custom House victim named in murder investigation
- 4 Machetes, zombie and lock knives: Five plead guilty after police seize 128 weapons in Plaistow
- 5 West Ham Academy legend receives honorary doctorate from UEL
- 6 Otas Sarkus: Three men arrested after Upton Park fatal shooting
- 7 Depth up front is going to be vital says Leyton Orient boss Jackett
- 8 Jailed: 'Sadistically cruel' East Ham man who raped, assaulted victim
- 9 Kacem Mokrane: Newham man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 10 Protesters target DSEI arms fair at ExCeL London in Royal Docks