Home birth team marks birthday
THE team of midwives and health professionals who have helped Newham women have babies at home is a year old.
The Home Birth Team, which was introduced last year, has supported more than 50 mothers give birth in the relaxing atmosphere of their homes.
Kathleen Hawkins is one mum who speaks about her amazing experience. She said: “I had ten people with me when I gave birth, which never could have happened if I’d been in hospital. It was more like a party than a labour. The midwife was amazing. She put me at ease and being in my own environment and free to move about the home as I wished made the experience really calm and relaxed.
“What was great is that I was fully in control of the experience. For example I could wander into the garden to get some fresh air or I could walk into the kitchen to get a drink, totally different to being in a restricted hospital environment. Thanks to advance planning with Pamela, my midwife, it also meant that everything was already there and ready for me and I didn’t have to move Grace about after she was born. I would recommend a home birth for everyone. It really is a fantastic experience and it puts you in control.”
The service is available women in the borough who want to have a home birth, including those having their first baby. If you would like to have a home birth speak with your midwife.
You may also want to watch:
The Team will also be hosting meetings for those interested in having a home birth and who want to find out more. The first will take place on January 27 from 12 until 2pm at the Freemasons Road Midwifery Centre, Custom House.
- 1 Silvertown scrap yard blaze burns throughout night as crews remain on scene
- 2 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation
- 3 Newham's governance referendum: the case for both options
- 4 Silvertown scrapyard blaze under control after crews battle for nine hours
- 5 Man hit by car in alleged Canning Town 'fight' dies from injuries
- 6 Teenagers killed in London in 2021 so far nears 2020 total
- 7 Appeal to help find missing girl who may be in Dagenham, Ilford or Stratford
- 8 Police name victim of Custom House fatal shooting and stabbing
- 9 Staff 'overjoyed' as nursery opens in Stratford
- 10 Meet the candidates battling for votes in East Ham's by-election