Home birth team marks birthday
THE team of midwives and health professionals who have helped Newham women have babies at home is a year old.
The Home Birth Team, which was introduced last year, has supported more than 50 mothers give birth in the relaxing atmosphere of their homes.
Kathleen Hawkins is one mum who speaks about her amazing experience. She said: “I had ten people with me when I gave birth, which never could have happened if I’d been in hospital. It was more like a party than a labour. The midwife was amazing. She put me at ease and being in my own environment and free to move about the home as I wished made the experience really calm and relaxed.
“What was great is that I was fully in control of the experience. For example I could wander into the garden to get some fresh air or I could walk into the kitchen to get a drink, totally different to being in a restricted hospital environment. Thanks to advance planning with Pamela, my midwife, it also meant that everything was already there and ready for me and I didn’t have to move Grace about after she was born. I would recommend a home birth for everyone. It really is a fantastic experience and it puts you in control.”
The service is available women in the borough who want to have a home birth, including those having their first baby. If you would like to have a home birth speak with your midwife.
You may also want to watch:
The Team will also be hosting meetings for those interested in having a home birth and who want to find out more. The first will take place on January 27 from 12 until 2pm at the Freemasons Road Midwifery Centre, Custom House.
- 1 Traffic cameras installed to catch Newham drivers who ignore road signs
- 2 Man arrested in east London for terrorist offences
- 3 Foodbank offering lifeline to foreign students left destitute by pandemic
- 4 Parking charges, Covid, unneutered cats and driving into London
- 5 Man arrested after car smashes into house in Maryland
- 6 Plans for special needs hub at Little Ilford School given green light
- 7 Guilty: Men from Forest Gate and East Ham who raped two women during brothel robbery
- 8 East Ham barber disappointed by Covid-19 lockdown easing roadmap
- 9 Upminster killer boasted about hacking teen to death with machete in street
- 10 Person found dead on tracks at Plaistow Underground station