Holiday atmosphere as Stratford gears up for theTour de France
- Credit: Archant
Excitement is mounting among crowds of racing fans as they wait for the third leg of the Tour de France to kick off.
Crowds and colour have combined to create a carnival-like atmosphere in Stratford reminiscent of the London 2012 Olympics.
Hundreds of people have made their way to the spectator hub in Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park where they are already soaking up the Tour de France spirit. Parents, couples and young children are mingling with keen cyclists as they enjoy ice creams and watch footage of the race as it began in
Yorkshire during the weekend.
Many people have staked their places along the crowd barriers along Westfield Avenue, where Tour Makers are busy giving instructions to those who want to enjoy the race in front of the big screen.
You may also want to watch:
Stratford High Street has also seen the crowds gathering this morning, particularly after the road closures took effect.
What is clear is that people have travelled not just from other parts of the country but also from across the world to watch history in the making.
- 1 Second jabs hub opening at Westfield as ExCeL London vaccination centre soon to close
- 2 Ex-student who got MIT scholarship sets up tutor business to help others
- 3 'Council houses now': Protesters stage action over empty homes
- 4 Newham foster carers on 'most rewarding and uplifting experience'
- 5 Feminism, corner shops and bricks: Here's what's happening in Newham Heritage Month
- 6 Website helps disadvantaged youth understand job roles to raise aspirations
- 7 Anonymous tip off could hold key to murder of Sami Sidhom three years later
- 8 Newham to start weekly recycling collections
- 9 Call The Midwife stars meet Bonny Downs staff and families
- 10 Police officer jailed for GBH after injuring man in Forest Gate
An American couple from Denver, Colorado decided to get here early as they were not sure how busy it would be.
Michael and Beth Hidalgo are planning to watch the race with their three children.
All of them are now waiting patiently, swapping stories and taking selfies as they gather mementos for what a memorable day.