Holiday atmosphere as Stratford gears up for theTour de France
- Credit: Archant
Excitement is mounting among crowds of racing fans as they wait for the third leg of the Tour de France to kick off.
Crowds and colour have combined to create a carnival-like atmosphere in Stratford reminiscent of the London 2012 Olympics.
Hundreds of people have made their way to the spectator hub in Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park where they are already soaking up the Tour de France spirit. Parents, couples and young children are mingling with keen cyclists as they enjoy ice creams and watch footage of the race as it began in
Yorkshire during the weekend.
Many people have staked their places along the crowd barriers along Westfield Avenue, where Tour Makers are busy giving instructions to those who want to enjoy the race in front of the big screen.
You may also want to watch:
Stratford High Street has also seen the crowds gathering this morning, particularly after the road closures took effect.
What is clear is that people have travelled not just from other parts of the country but also from across the world to watch history in the making.
- 1 Engineering student wins place at Princeton University
- 2 West Ham United reveal 2021/22 Umbro Third Kit
- 3 Free fitness sessions on offer in Newham as parkrun returns
- 4 Ex-McDonald's crew member in final of national awards honouring those shaping business world
- 5 West Ham sign World Cup-winning goalkeeper Alphonse Areola on loan
- 6 More than 20 places in Newham hit by flooding, council says
- 7 Forest Gate flats bid gets green light despite neighbours' objections
- 8 The secondary schools in Newham rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 9 Fried chicken outlet to open at Westfield in Stratford
- 10 Meet the Forest Gate pastor supporting athletes at Tokyo Olympics 2020
An American couple from Denver, Colorado decided to get here early as they were not sure how busy it would be.
Michael and Beth Hidalgo are planning to watch the race with their three children.
All of them are now waiting patiently, swapping stories and taking selfies as they gather mementos for what a memorable day.