“Grandad” of Sainsbury’s Stratford turns 80
- Credit: Archant
The “Grandad” of a supermarket is still going strong on customer service as he celebrated his 80th birthday this week.
Staff threw a surprise party for Vince Brown who works at Sainsbury’s in the Stratford Centre on Friday.
Vince is marking the milestone today by taking the week off to spend time with his family and friends.
But just before he set off, colleagues - who have nicknamed him “Grandad” - invited Vince into the canteen for some cake and a party.
Special guests included his wife and store manager Mark Twell who interrupted his holiday to wish Vince a happy birthday.
You may also want to watch:
Born on March 8 1933, Vince moved to the UK from Antigua and he was employed to work on the British Railway a day after he arrived.
He joined the army in 1959 where he served in Northern Ireland and the Swiss Canal before heading to the USA to work as the Head of Security at the New York Institute of Technology.
- 1 New developments given the green light in Newham so far this year
- 2 Forest Gate flats bid gets green light despite neighbours' objections
- 3 Steward admits lanyard theft ahead of Euro 2020 final
- 4 Free fitness sessions on offer in Newham as parkrun returns
- 5 Woodford Green and Forest Gate residents criticise councils over flooding
- 6 Grade II-listed building to become creative hub with £250k refurb
- 7 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 8 Ricardo Fuller death: Men from Dagenham and Plaistow wanted in connection
- 9 Fried chicken outlet to open at Westfield in Stratford
- 10 Barts Trust ends major incident but situation 'critical' at Whipps Cross
Vince returned to England in 1990 where he got a job in Sainsbury’s Stratford and he says he has no plans to retire yet.