“Grandad” of Sainsbury’s Stratford turns 80
- Credit: Archant
The “Grandad” of a supermarket is still going strong on customer service as he celebrated his 80th birthday this week.
Staff threw a surprise party for Vince Brown who works at Sainsbury’s in the Stratford Centre on Friday.
Vince is marking the milestone today by taking the week off to spend time with his family and friends.
But just before he set off, colleagues - who have nicknamed him “Grandad” - invited Vince into the canteen for some cake and a party.
Special guests included his wife and store manager Mark Twell who interrupted his holiday to wish Vince a happy birthday.
You may also want to watch:
Born on March 8 1933, Vince moved to the UK from Antigua and he was employed to work on the British Railway a day after he arrived.
He joined the army in 1959 where he served in Northern Ireland and the Swiss Canal before heading to the USA to work as the Head of Security at the New York Institute of Technology.
- 1 Second jabs hub opening at Westfield as ExCeL London vaccination centre soon to close
- 2 Newham foster carers on 'most rewarding and uplifting experience'
- 3 Feminism, corner shops and bricks: Here's what's happening in Newham Heritage Month
- 4 Ex-student who got MIT scholarship sets up tutor business to help others
- 5 'Council houses now': Protesters stage action over empty homes
- 6 Call The Midwife stars meet Bonny Downs staff and families
- 7 Website helps disadvantaged youth understand job roles to raise aspirations
- 8 Anonymous tip off could hold key to murder of Sami Sidhom three years later
- 9 Newham to start weekly recycling collections
- 10 WSL: West Ham 0 Aston Villa 0
Vince returned to England in 1990 where he got a job in Sainsbury’s Stratford and he says he has no plans to retire yet.