“Grandad” of Sainsbury’s Stratford turns 80
- Credit: Archant
The “Grandad” of a supermarket is still going strong on customer service as he celebrated his 80th birthday this week.
Staff threw a surprise party for Vince Brown who works at Sainsbury’s in the Stratford Centre on Friday.
Vince is marking the milestone today by taking the week off to spend time with his family and friends.
But just before he set off, colleagues - who have nicknamed him “Grandad” - invited Vince into the canteen for some cake and a party.
Special guests included his wife and store manager Mark Twell who interrupted his holiday to wish Vince a happy birthday.
You may also want to watch:
Born on March 8 1933, Vince moved to the UK from Antigua and he was employed to work on the British Railway a day after he arrived.
He joined the army in 1959 where he served in Northern Ireland and the Swiss Canal before heading to the USA to work as the Head of Security at the New York Institute of Technology.
- 1 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 2 West Ham 1 Burnley 0: How the Hammers rated
- 3 Letters: CCTV facial recognition, Covid and tenants' manifesto
- 4 Double murder accused remanded in custody over ‘brutal’ stabbings
- 5 Newham's Covid-19 case rate 'huge' but there is 'light at end of the tunnel'
- 6 Forest Gate man, 21, charged with dangerous and drug driving
- 7 Tottenham take Super League spoils at West Ham
- 8 Dangerous driver arrested after police find drugs and £28k cash
- 9 NHS Nightingale London opens to patients without Covid-19
- 10 NHS 'concerned' about Covid vaccine uptake in Newham
Vince returned to England in 1990 where he got a job in Sainsbury’s Stratford and he says he has no plans to retire yet.