“Grandad” of Sainsbury’s Stratford turns 80
- Credit: Archant
The “Grandad” of a supermarket is still going strong on customer service as he celebrated his 80th birthday this week.
Staff threw a surprise party for Vince Brown who works at Sainsbury’s in the Stratford Centre on Friday.
Vince is marking the milestone today by taking the week off to spend time with his family and friends.
But just before he set off, colleagues - who have nicknamed him “Grandad” - invited Vince into the canteen for some cake and a party.
Special guests included his wife and store manager Mark Twell who interrupted his holiday to wish Vince a happy birthday.
You may also want to watch:
Born on March 8 1933, Vince moved to the UK from Antigua and he was employed to work on the British Railway a day after he arrived.
He joined the army in 1959 where he served in Northern Ireland and the Swiss Canal before heading to the USA to work as the Head of Security at the New York Institute of Technology.
- 1 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 2 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 3 Tom Hiddleston to appear as MCM Comic Con returns to ExCeL London in Royal Docks
- 4 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 5 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 6 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 7 Worshippers at mosque in Upton Park aim to raise £35k for Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal 2021
- 8 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 9 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
- 10 Stevenage and Leyton Orient still searching for a victory after stalemate at the Lamex
Vince returned to England in 1990 where he got a job in Sainsbury’s Stratford and he says he has no plans to retire yet.