“Grandad” of Sainsbury’s Stratford turns 80
- Credit: Archant
The “Grandad” of a supermarket is still going strong on customer service as he celebrated his 80th birthday this week.
Staff threw a surprise party for Vince Brown who works at Sainsbury’s in the Stratford Centre on Friday.
Vince is marking the milestone today by taking the week off to spend time with his family and friends.
But just before he set off, colleagues - who have nicknamed him “Grandad” - invited Vince into the canteen for some cake and a party.
Special guests included his wife and store manager Mark Twell who interrupted his holiday to wish Vince a happy birthday.
Born on March 8 1933, Vince moved to the UK from Antigua and he was employed to work on the British Railway a day after he arrived.
He joined the army in 1959 where he served in Northern Ireland and the Swiss Canal before heading to the USA to work as the Head of Security at the New York Institute of Technology.
- 1 RideLondon 2022: East and central London roads among 100 miles of closures
- 2 Revealed: Your favourite fish and chip shop in east London
- 3 School which has nine-hour days praised as 'outstanding'
- 4 Three in custody over knifepoint robbery in East Ham after foot chase
- 5 Men jailed after violent beating with steering wheel lock caught on dashcam
- 6 Seven men charged following cannabis factory fight
- 7 Travel bulletin: Islington, Hackney, Tower Hamlets, Newham
- 8 Burrard Road stabbing: Plea date set for Custom House murder accused
- 9 Queen’s Platinum Jubilee: Street parties and road closures in Newham
- 10 Plaistow police officer to face GBH trial after man left paralysed
Vince returned to England in 1990 where he got a job in Sainsbury’s Stratford and he says he has no plans to retire yet.