Four Newham nurses celebrate GP surgery promotion
Four nurses working in Newham have bucked the employment trend to win promoted positions in GP surgeries.
All four retrained via a new programme aiming to combat the age-old problem of qualifications versus experience to ‘upskill’ nurses.
An evening was held at Mile End Hospital on Thursday October 25 for over 30 nurses, supporters, and staff to celebrate their achievements.
Newham graduates included Jennifer Flanagan who now works at Woodgrange Medical Practice in Forest Gate, Leigh-Anne Burke at Stratford Village Surgery, Fatima Chaudhury at Royal Docks Surgery, and Nasima Moussa at E12 Health.
Vicky Souster, programme manager, said: “We were finding it difficult to recruit quality candidates to GP nurse posts across north east London and the City.
“Nurses who work in GP practices are vital. They do so much to improve and maintain the quality of life for local people.
“Nurses who wanted to work in a GP practice found it was a catch-22 situation - that they have to have experience as a practice nurse to be employed as a practice nurse.”
- 1 Revealed: Hackney, Islington and Newham are boroughs with most LTNs
- 2 Moyes angered by late West Ham defeat at Old Trafford
- 3 New documentary on murders of women whose bodies were hidden in freezer
- 4 Coroner concerned with Barts NHS trust after woman 'unlawfully killed'
- 5 Jailed: Teen who inflicted life-changing injuries as he squirted acid in boy's face
- 6 Newham man among UK's 'most wanted fugitives' who may be hiding in Spain
- 7 Travel disruptions: Hackney, Islington, Tower Hamlets, Newham
- 8 East London boroughs lag behind rest of country for Covid booster uptake
- 9 Overnight blaze at North Woolwich block of flats
- 10 Man remains in critical condition after Stratford Station attack
The scheme, called Open Doors, is run by NHS North East London and the City in partnership with City University Londonto teach nurses advanced skills such as management of chronic and long-term conditions, immunisation training, and cervical cytology screening.