Forest Gate hosts lung cancer awareness day
Specialist nurses were in Forest Gate helping people undergo tests to help them find out if their breathing difficulties are in fact COPD.
They held a health promotion day at Newham Chest Clinic as part of events to help promote World COPD Day in conjunction with Newham University Hospital.
The Respiratory Nurses as well as patients from the Breathe Easy group (part of British Lung Foundation) offered spirometery testing , oxygen saturation and carbon monoxide testing.
COPD (Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) is a common lung disease that obstructs the airways, making breathing difficult. It is usually caused by smoking or by exposure to fumes or very dusty places, and is a preventable disease. When COPD develops, it can be controlled, although it cannot be cured. The earlier it is detected, the better the results of treatment.
Radhica Ramoutar- Seepaul, Specialist COPD Nurse, said: “Many patients are not aware that they have this condition and assume that their symptoms are part of the ageing process or due to the fact that they have smoked. If you have these symptoms, you should contact your doctor or practice nurse to discuss COPD. They can help to improve symptoms and slow down any damage to lungs, by advising on smoking cessation and treatment for COPD. When COPD is found early there are steps that can be taken to prevent further lung damage and treatment to make you feel better.”
You may also want to watch:
The aim of World COPD Day is to encourage people in Newham to seek help sooner rather than later and prevent their illness from getting any worse.
- 1 Vandal targets St Antony statue outside church in Forest Gate
- 2 Rumours over empty Stratford estate homes quashed in meeting
- 3 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 4 Architects awarded £300K contract for Stratford Station makeover
- 5 'Petrified' cat reunited with kittens after 'pursuit' in Canning Town
- 6 Family of man who died after attack in Canning Town pays tribute to a 'loving, generous' father
- 7 Kenny Jackett emerges as odds-on favourite for Leyton Orient job
- 8 Flights from London City Airport to Switzerland resume as hub readies for return to international travel
- 9 Blaze under control at block of flats being built in Canning Town
- 10 Newham saw no deaths from Covid-19 at the end of April, figures show