Forest Gate Gladys turns 100
A woman who has lived in Forest Gate all of her life celebrated her 100th birthday on Friday.
Born the year the Titanic sank, Gladys McIntyre was born on April 20 1912 meaning she has lived through two World Wars and the coronations of two monarchs.
Centenarian Gladys has been a resident at Westgate Care Home in Romford Road for the past six years and her 80-year-old daughter Gladys Hornby came down from Essex to celebrate the day with her.
Gladys also received a congratulatory birthday message from the Queen’s Anniversaries Office at Buckingham Palace.
Family say the secret to Gladys’ longevity is a healthy lifestyle and lots of sleep - she does not drink or smoke, and her preferred bed time is 4.30pm.
You may also want to watch:
Staff at the Westgate Care Home, Brinah Nyamugure, general manager, and Lolin Ollennu, administrator, also joined in by decorating the residence and putting on party food.
- 1 Violent gang stuff sock in elderly woman's mouth and steal her jewellery
- 2 Council rents offices to ambulance service to save money
- 3 Our planet is in a terrible place
- 4 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 5 Police release image after teenager stabbed in Forest Gate robbery
- 6 What a load of old rubbish: Fly-tippers keep charity staff out of building
- 7 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 8 Arrests after girl, 16, falls onto tracks at King George V DLR
- 9 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 10 Tributes to Newham cop who died after positive Covid-19 test