Forest Gate Gladys turns 100
A woman who has lived in Forest Gate all of her life celebrated her 100th birthday on Friday.
Born the year the Titanic sank, Gladys McIntyre was born on April 20 1912 meaning she has lived through two World Wars and the coronations of two monarchs.
Centenarian Gladys has been a resident at Westgate Care Home in Romford Road for the past six years and her 80-year-old daughter Gladys Hornby came down from Essex to celebrate the day with her.
Gladys also received a congratulatory birthday message from the Queen’s Anniversaries Office at Buckingham Palace.
Family say the secret to Gladys’ longevity is a healthy lifestyle and lots of sleep - she does not drink or smoke, and her preferred bed time is 4.30pm.
Staff at the Westgate Care Home, Brinah Nyamugure, general manager, and Lolin Ollennu, administrator, also joined in by decorating the residence and putting on party food.
- 1 New documentary on murders of women whose bodies were hidden in freezer
- 2 Jailed: Teen who inflicted life-changing injuries as he squirted acid in boy's face
- 3 Overnight blaze at North Woolwich block of flats
- 4 Revealed: Hackney, Islington and Newham are boroughs with most LTNs
- 5 Newham man among UK's 'most wanted fugitives' who may be hiding in Spain
- 6 Man remains in critical condition after Stratford Station attack
- 7 Mother and daughter, 3, left without boiler as temperatures hit freezing
- 8 Sixth form rated Outstanding in all categories by Ofsted
- 9 Motorcyclist, 19, remains in ‘life-threatening’ condition after A13 incident
- 10 Travel disruptions: Hackney, Islington, Tower Hamlets, Newham