Forest Gate Gladys turns 100
A woman who has lived in Forest Gate all of her life celebrated her 100th birthday on Friday.
Born the year the Titanic sank, Gladys McIntyre was born on April 20 1912 meaning she has lived through two World Wars and the coronations of two monarchs.
Centenarian Gladys has been a resident at Westgate Care Home in Romford Road for the past six years and her 80-year-old daughter Gladys Hornby came down from Essex to celebrate the day with her.
Gladys also received a congratulatory birthday message from the Queen’s Anniversaries Office at Buckingham Palace.
Family say the secret to Gladys’ longevity is a healthy lifestyle and lots of sleep - she does not drink or smoke, and her preferred bed time is 4.30pm.
You may also want to watch:
Staff at the Westgate Care Home, Brinah Nyamugure, general manager, and Lolin Ollennu, administrator, also joined in by decorating the residence and putting on party food.
- 1 Clapton Community FC members demand 'Justice for Sami' outside Forest Gate Police Station
- 2 Restored Victorian warehouse in Stratford to become dance and music hub
- 3 Police officer to appear in court after death of man in East Ham
- 4 Second jabs hub opening at Westfield as ExCeL London vaccination centre soon to close
- 5 Three teenagers arrested after boy, 16, found stabbed in East Village
- 6 Why musician swapped working with pop stars to teaching Newham pupils
- 7 Meeting ex-banker London mayoral candidate Brian Rose
- 8 Anonymous tip off could hold key to murder of Sami Sidhom three years later
- 9 Pupils send 'awe-inspiring' accounts of pandemic into the future with time capsule
- 10 Police officer jailed for GBH after injuring man in Forest Gate