Forest Gate Gladys turns 100
A woman who has lived in Forest Gate all of her life celebrated her 100th birthday on Friday.
Born the year the Titanic sank, Gladys McIntyre was born on April 20 1912 meaning she has lived through two World Wars and the coronations of two monarchs.
Centenarian Gladys has been a resident at Westgate Care Home in Romford Road for the past six years and her 80-year-old daughter Gladys Hornby came down from Essex to celebrate the day with her.
Gladys also received a congratulatory birthday message from the Queen’s Anniversaries Office at Buckingham Palace.
Family say the secret to Gladys’ longevity is a healthy lifestyle and lots of sleep - she does not drink or smoke, and her preferred bed time is 4.30pm.
You may also want to watch:
Staff at the Westgate Care Home, Brinah Nyamugure, general manager, and Lolin Ollennu, administrator, also joined in by decorating the residence and putting on party food.
- 1 Steven Fry: Canning Town man to face court charged with murder
- 2 Police name Newham man fatally shot in Haringey
- 3 Newham town halls to be lit up in tribute to Sabina Nessa
- 4 US fried chicken chain Popeyes to open first UK outlet in Stratford
- 5 First apartments to go on sale at 769-home development in Royal Docks
- 6 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 7 Sadiq Khan warns of flood threat in east London from climate emergency
- 8 New primary school in Stratford welcomes first reception class
- 9 Things to do: Explore east London this weekend
- 10 Campaigners fear Newham City Farm site will become 'another green space'