Events across Newham highlight dangers of alcohol this week
A series of events are being held throughout Newham this week to help raise awareness about the dangers of alcohol.
They are organised by the Drug & Alcohol Service for London in conjunction with various groups across the borough during Alcohol Awareness Week, Novembner 18-24.
Its aim is to get people thinking about alcohol, how it affects them as individuals, families, communities and society.
During the week, DASL will be taking part in activities and will have extra resources available at its base in Capital House, Romford Road, Stratford.
A spokeswoman for DASL said: “Drinking alcohol is part of many people’s way of life, at social occasions, to mark special events, and as a way to relax and unwind, to ‘drown our sorrows’ or just an everyday part of our evening meal. But how often do we stop to think about how much we are drinking?
You may also want to watch:
“As Christmas draws nearer, alcohol becomes a bigger part of many people’s lives but it can also be a good time to take stock. Ask yourself...Does the amount you drink ever bother you? Has anyone else ever said that perhaps you should cut down? Do you spend too much on alcohol as part of your weekly shop? Or have you ever tried to cut down or stop and found it difficult?If so, then it may be a good time to talk to your GP or to DASL on 0208 257 3068.
“It doesn’t have to be a big problem and you don’t have to call yourself an “alcoholic” but if you would like to speak to someone, in confidence then do give us a ring and we’ll be happy to make an appointment for you to do just that.”
- 1 Police release image after teenager stabbed in Forest Gate robbery
- 2 Labour Party investigates second Newham councillor over antisemitism
- 3 Arrests after girl, 16, falls onto tracks at King George V DLR
- 4 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 5 Lockdown in Newham having a 'positive' effect on Covid-19 case rate
- 6 Covid funding boost for Newham homeless and young people charities
- 7 Doctors urge Tower Hamlets mayor to end support for Silvertown Tunnel
- 8 Stratford councillor who slammed Boris's bike ride cycles 30 mile round trip across London
- 9 West Ham reach Continental Cup last four with win over Durham
- 10 Double murder accused remanded in custody over ‘brutal’ stabbings
DASL Activities during the week include
*November 20 & November 22 – Information stall at Newham University Hospital, giving advice and leaflets on how to work out alcohol units and know your drinking levels.
*November 21 - Alcohol Information and advice at Docklands UEL Campus, as part of their Health Promotion week.
*Mail Out Campaign to all GP’s with posters and leaflets to display at the Surgeries.
*Information and Advice – leaflets on working out units and Safer drinking at Capital House – all week
*Information and Advice sessions at In-Reach venues – Homeless venues such as Emmanuel Church, Romford Road, Forest Gate - Parish of the Divine Compassion Plaistow and Canning Town - St Fidellis Friary, Canning Town - Memorial Church, Barking Road, Plaistow.