Delta variant Covid cases continue to rise throughout east London
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
The number of Delta variant Covid cases recorded has risen throughout east London, according to new data released by Public Health England (PHE).
Tower Hamlets has the highest total recorded Delta cases in east London, rising by another 245 (up 23 per cent) in the seven days up to July 7.
It has had a total of 1,364 Delta cases.
Newham rose 152 Delta cases to 762 in total and Redbridge went up 137 (a 30pc weekly increase) to 600 overall.
Havering increased by 79 Delta cases in the week, rising to 317 in total.
You may also want to watch:
Cases of the Delta variant have risen in Barking and Dagenham by 36pc in a week and now total 254.
Chief executive of the UK Health Security Agency, Dr Jenny Harries said: "The data continues to show that the sharp increase in cases that we are seeing is not being followed by a similar increase in hospitalisation and death.
- 1 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 2 Westfield evacuated after fire at centre in Stratford
- 3 Westfield Stratford City reopens after shop fire caused by electrical fault
- 4 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020
- 5 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
- 6 Neighbours call for mortuary car wash plans to be reversed
- 7 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 8 Parking space row sees police called and woman left feeling 'vulnerable'
- 9 'We love away days' says West Ham star Declan Rice
- 10 Pressure mounts on town hall with second Stratford Circus protest
"This is because two doses of the available vaccines offer a high level of protection against the Delta variant.
“Getting both jabs is the best way to ensure you and the people you love remain safe, so we once again urge everyone to come forward as soon as they are eligible.
"As we approach the planned end of restrictions, we must remain cautious and careful.
“Cases are rising across the country, and whilst the vaccines offer excellent protection, they do not offer 100% protection.
"Be sensible, and follow ‘hands, face, space, fresh air’ at all times and make sure to get tested if required."