East Ham MP Stephen Timms launches �7 million hospital A&E redevelopment
East Ham MP Stephen Timms officially launched the second phase of the �7 million Emergency Care redevelopment works at Newham University Hospital.
Mr Timms knocked down a wall to mark the start of redevelopment works designed to ensure the hospital can provide high quality services that meet the demands anticipated during the 2012 Olympics.
The new development, due for completion in July 2012, will also bring a range of benefits for staff, patients and visitors to the Emergency Department and Urgent Care Centre including: more capacity and better care pathways, meaning shorter waiting times, an improved environment, higher standards of privacy and dignity and a dedicated facility for children.
The Trust has already done preparatory work (Phase One), since September 2011, which has seen the installation of a new emergency entrance and the creation of an interim unit, to allow for the refurbishment and redevelopment of the Trust’s emergency facilities.
During the visit Mr Timms went on a tour of the new Maternity Unit for which he launched building work in March 2010. The unit has undergone a �17.5 development programme, offering huge improvements for the ever-increasing number of women and babies the Trust serves.
You may also want to watch:
Len Richards, Chief Executive at Newham University Hospital NHS Trust, said: “The redevelopment of Emergency Care facilities at the Trust is really exciting for everyone at the Trust as well as the people of Newham and east London.”
Mr Timms said: “It’s an honour to wield the sledge hammer to start the redevelopment works on the new Emergency Care facilities. The new maternity unit is superb and offers women in Newham facilities, which may now be the best in London. If the Emergency Care redevelopment is if the same high standard it will be a marked improvement in healthcare facilities for residents of Newham.”
- 1 Housing campaigners to stage protest in Canning Town over empty homes
- 2 Town hall chiefs back £3m purchase of Plaistow property for rough sleeper centre
- 3 Body found in search for missing Newham man
- 4 Police officer jailed for GBH after injuring man in Forest Gate
- 5 Meet the candidates battling for votes in East Ham's by-election
- 6 Silvertown, North Woolwich heritage project offers opportunity to history buff
- 7 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 8 Santino Dymiter murder: Teens given life terms for 'savage' gang killing
- 9 Election candidate slams plans for Durning Hall in Forest Gate
- 10 Tributes to 'hero' charity founder who dedicated life to Newham children