East End Road Runners bidding to be Kings of the Road
- Credit: Archant
Newham runners turned out in force on a warm bank holiday Monday, as they continued their bid to be crowned kings of east London.
East End Road Runners sent 23 amateur runners to fly the flag for Newham in the penultimate race of the East London Five Interclub Series (ELVIS).
The team set a good pace over a flat 5k course at Barking Park.
The annual tournament sees runners from eight clubs meet seven times throughout the summer, running a mixture of five mile and 5k races.
The Road Runners, who train on Tuesdays and Thursdays at Newham Leisure Centre, are the borough’s only representatives in the ELVIS tournament.
You may also want to watch:
Bobby Seagull, 29, of Lathom Road, East Ham set a personal best as he led the team home in an impressive 19mins 01sec.
He said: “It was a fast, flat course, but with the sun out, it was a tough end to the race. I’m proud of my time and the rest of the club team, who put in a great effort.”
- 1 Changes to controversial Newham parking scheme announced
- 2 'Clearly insufficient' - Canning Town teacher in charge of foodbank talks free school meal hampers
- 3 Violent gang stuff sock in elderly woman's mouth and steal her jewellery
- 4 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 5 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 6 Police release image after teenager stabbed in Forest Gate robbery
- 7 Tributes to Newham cop who died after positive Covid-19 test
- 8 Council rents offices to ambulance service to save money
- 9 Arrests after girl, 16, falls onto tracks at King George V DLR
- 10 Double murder accused remanded in custody over ‘brutal’ stabbings
The final ELVIS run of the year, a 5k run through Valentines Park, Ilford, will be on September 29.