Campaign to save GP surgeries will host Stratford rally on NHS birthday
A campaign concerned at the possible closure of GP surgeries in Newham has organised a rally to coincide with the anniversary of the birth of the NHS in 1948 to highlight the issue.
Newham ‘Save our Surgeries’ is concerned that many doctors surgeries in the borough are under threat of closure or cuts to their budgets due to government changes in the way that General Practice is funded. Among those that could be affected is Westbury Road medical practice off Green Street in Upton Park which the campiagn believes could be facing budget cuts.
To draw attention to government plans to phase out extra payments introduced in 2004 to surgeries in deprived areas with a high turnover of patients the campiagn has organised a rally and procession to take place on Saturday July 5 at Stratford station. at 11.30am, with a rally at noon. It will coincide with the birth of the NHS on July 5 1948 and is expected to inlcude politicians, health workers and GPs.
An open topped bus will then take campaigners down Green Street with leafleting on the way. The bus will go to Aftab Ali Park in Tower Hamlets and then to London Fields in Hackney. Hackney and Tower Hamlets are also expect to hold similar rallies.
Dr Ron Singer, a retired GP said: “Many GP practices in Newham will have their income reduced because the government has decided to make cuts in practice funding. Under a ‘Fair Share’ policy 98 practices in England holding national contracts – including some in Newham - will lose so much funding by having their Minimun Practice Income Guarantee (MPIG) removed that may have to close down.
You may also want to watch:
“Which practices are threatened has not been revealed by NHS England which is adding to the anxiety felt by Newham practices. More funding cuts to practices which hold local contracts are also threatened. Practices in Hackney and Tower Hamlets face similar cuts.”
- 1 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 2 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 3 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 4 Tom Hiddleston to appear as MCM Comic Con returns to ExCeL London in Royal Docks
- 5 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 6 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 7 Worshippers at mosque in Upton Park aim to raise £35k for Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal 2021
- 8 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
- 9 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 10 Stevenage and Leyton Orient still searching for a victory after stalemate at the Lamex