Barts Health urology team to take award-winning cancer service improvements to the world
- Credit: Archant
Urologists at the hospital trust for Newham and Tower Hamlets have been invited to showcase award-winning improvements to their cancer service around the world.
The Barts Health NHS Trust urology team recently won the Macmillan professionals excellence award for quality improvement, after implementing a new model of working that combined nursing services split across four hospital sites for urological cancer patients.
Macmillan nurse Alex Smith said: "It feels so nice to be recognised by our patients and peers for all the hard work we have been doing over a long period of time."
The improvements are so novel and effective that Ms Smith was asked to present the work at a pan-European scientific meeting, while the team has also been invited to run workshops in New Zealand, China, Dubai and Saudi Arabia to share best practice.
Barts' lead urology nurse Paula Allchorne said: "Our whole team has been built in response to meeting patient needs.
You may also want to watch:
"We have a real mix of skills and are passionate about workforce development, recognising that each person plays an equally important part in improving patient experience."
- 1 Flooding causes road and rail disruption across east London
- 2 Canning Town bus station stays closed as 'urgent' investigation underway
- 3 The secondary schools in Newham rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 4 Appeal after man allegedly 'spits at' woman travelling through Whitechapel, West Ham and Barking
- 5 Carpenters Estate neighbours to vote on redevelopment plans
- 6 High Court judge rules no further action needed over embargo breach by Newham company boss
- 7 Weather warning in place with east London set for thundery weekend
- 8 Brilliant moment for Okoflex as he nets in West Ham's win at Celtic
- 9 Man injured as glass falls from Canning Town bus station canopy
- 10 Man suffers 'life-changing' injuries in Plaistow bicycle crash