Covid admissions rise in east London hospitals amid low booster jab uptake
- Credit: Mike Brooke
The number of Covid-19 patients in east London hospitals continues to rise.
There were 184 laboratory-confirmed Covid cases in across the five Barts Health NHS Trust hospitals as of 8am yesterday (December 22).
Of the current cases, 20 were newly-diagnosed in the previous 24 hours.
There were 29 Covid patients being treated in critical care beds or receiving enhanced levels of oxygen across the five hospitals.
These include The Royal London in Whitechapel, Mile End Hospital and Newham Hospital in Plaistow.
The latest rise follows figures that show Tower Hamlets and Newham have the two lowest uptake rates of Covid booster jabs of all local authorities in the country, as of December 19.
Barts Health also runs Whipps Cross Hospital in Leytonstone and St Bartholomew's in the City of London.
During the pandemic, a total of 2,048 patients hospitalised with confirmed Covid have died at Barts Health hospitals, as of 5pm on December 21.
- 1 60 firefighters deal with Plaistow tower block fire
- 2 Revealed: Cause of terraced houses blaze in East Ham
- 3 East Ham fire: Terraced houses damaged by blaze as woman treated at scene
- 4 Fares Maatou was 'murdered with stolen sword', court hears
- 5 Truck towing stolen Rolls Royce SUV crashes before dramatic foot chase
- 6 Three Met officers receive written warning over photos of murdered sisters
- 7 Series of failures sees Met Police placed under special measures
- 8 Moosakhan Nasiri: Man charged with Plashet Park murder
- 9 Drone images of Newham tower block blaze
- 10 Old Bailey courts closed as barrister strike action gets under way
Over the same period, a further 22,228 Covid patients have recovered and been discharged.