Balaam Leisure Centre in Plaistow will be closed until at least March
- Credit: Archant
A leisure centre will stay closed until at least March, the council has said.
Balaam Leisure Centre in Balaam Street, Plaistow closed on January 7 for maintenance work.
The facility run by activeNewham, which manages the council’s leisure centres, will remain closed because of “detailed structural investigations”.
A Newham Council spokesman said: “It has been decided that Balaam Leisure Centre will remain closed until at least March 2019 due to the need to carry out detailed structural investigations.
“ActiveNewham understands that their customers are disappointed and apologise for the disruption caused.
You may also want to watch:
“They will continue to communicate with all of their customers and employees as the situation becomes clearer.”
He added that activeNewham had made every effort to contact people affected by the closure and offered to freeze their membership.
- 1 Tributes to 'hero' charity founder who dedicated life to Newham children
- 2 Former boxer compared feet with Prince Philip during visit to club
- 3 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 4 Santino Dymiter murder: Teens given life terms for 'savage' gang killing
- 5 Officers donate Easter eggs to hospitals
- 6 Leyton Orient boss McAnuff full of praise for Cheltenham Town after loss
- 7 Mural sparks criticism after 'crime and murders' describe North Woolwich
- 8 Newham men who bought BMW M5 in £112,000 fraud sentenced
- 9 David Moyes salutes loyal Mark Noble ahead of his 400th West Ham match
- 10 Plans for industrial hub, shipyard and homes on Albert Island approved
Customers were also offered the chance to relocate to another one of Newham’s four other centres until Balaam’s future became clearer.
If you have any queries, contract the activeNewham call centre on 0300 124 0123.