Balaam Leisure Centre in Plaistow will be closed until at least March
- Credit: Archant
A leisure centre will stay closed until at least March, the council has said.
Balaam Leisure Centre in Balaam Street, Plaistow closed on January 7 for maintenance work.
The facility run by activeNewham, which manages the council’s leisure centres, will remain closed because of “detailed structural investigations”.
A Newham Council spokesman said: “It has been decided that Balaam Leisure Centre will remain closed until at least March 2019 due to the need to carry out detailed structural investigations.
“ActiveNewham understands that their customers are disappointed and apologise for the disruption caused.
You may also want to watch:
“They will continue to communicate with all of their customers and employees as the situation becomes clearer.”
He added that activeNewham had made every effort to contact people affected by the closure and offered to freeze their membership.
- 1 Police appeal to bystanders in alleged rape case
- 2 Indian restaurants to try in Newham, as recommended by readers
- 3 Kacem Mokrane: Newham man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 4 Secondary claims to be 'billion-pound school' based on earnings research
- 5 David Gomoh's killers jailed 101 years total for Canning Town murder
- 6 Jailed: Robbers who targeted OAPs at east London cashpoints
- 7 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 8 Watch the moment 'stolen' car drives into vehicles in East Ham
- 9 Steven Fry stabbing: Custom House victim named in murder investigation
- 10 Hospitality Day 2021: Newham's favourite cafe, pub and restaurant revealed
Customers were also offered the chance to relocate to another one of Newham’s four other centres until Balaam’s future became clearer.
If you have any queries, contract the activeNewham call centre on 0300 124 0123.