Balaam Leisure Centre in Plaistow will be closed until at least March
- Credit: Archant
A leisure centre will stay closed until at least March, the council has said.
Balaam Leisure Centre in Balaam Street, Plaistow closed on January 7 for maintenance work.
The facility run by activeNewham, which manages the council’s leisure centres, will remain closed because of “detailed structural investigations”.
A Newham Council spokesman said: “It has been decided that Balaam Leisure Centre will remain closed until at least March 2019 due to the need to carry out detailed structural investigations.
“ActiveNewham understands that their customers are disappointed and apologise for the disruption caused.
“They will continue to communicate with all of their customers and employees as the situation becomes clearer.”
He added that activeNewham had made every effort to contact people affected by the closure and offered to freeze their membership.
- 1 Motorcyclist, 19, died in hospital after A13 crash near Beckton flyover
- 2 100 people leave Stratford block of flats after fire breaks out
- 3 Gallery: Hidden photos reveal London's East End in the 1960s
- 4 Jailed: Teen who inflicted life-changing injuries as he squirted acid in boy's face
- 5 New documentary on murders of women whose bodies were hidden in freezer
- 6 Newham man among UK's 'most wanted fugitives' who may be hiding in Spain
- 7 Covid patients numbers declining in east London hospitals
- 8 Man remains in critical condition after Stratford Station attack
- 9 Face coverings no longer mandatory indoors as England returns to Plan A
- 10 Coroner concerned with Barts NHS trust after woman 'unlawfully killed'
Customers were also offered the chance to relocate to another one of Newham’s four other centres until Balaam’s future became clearer.
If you have any queries, contract the activeNewham call centre on 0300 124 0123.