Balaam Leisure Centre in Plaistow will be closed until at least March
- Credit: Archant
A leisure centre will stay closed until at least March, the council has said.
Balaam Leisure Centre in Balaam Street, Plaistow closed on January 7 for maintenance work.
The facility run by activeNewham, which manages the council’s leisure centres, will remain closed because of “detailed structural investigations”.
A Newham Council spokesman said: “It has been decided that Balaam Leisure Centre will remain closed until at least March 2019 due to the need to carry out detailed structural investigations.
“ActiveNewham understands that their customers are disappointed and apologise for the disruption caused.
“They will continue to communicate with all of their customers and employees as the situation becomes clearer.”
He added that activeNewham had made every effort to contact people affected by the closure and offered to freeze their membership.
- 1 Two 'child abduction' arrests after three-year-old girl reported missing
- 2 Revealed: Cause of Plaistow tower block fire which left 5 men in hospital
- 3 Bow Lock murder defendants blame each other for fatal attack
- 4 Revealed: Cause of terraced houses blaze in East Ham
- 5 Antonio hopes short summer break helps West Ham bid
- 6 Architects chosen to lead 1,750 home Canning Town masterplan design
- 7 60 firefighters deal with Plaistow tower block fire
- 8 Latest data shows Covid admissions rising again at east London hospitals
- 9 Census 2021 indicates baby boom in one east London borough
- 10 East Ham fire: Terraced houses damaged by blaze as woman treated at scene
Customers were also offered the chance to relocate to another one of Newham’s four other centres until Balaam’s future became clearer.
If you have any queries, contract the activeNewham call centre on 0300 124 0123.