100 days to go: Day of Olympic fun across Newham’s leisure centres
Leisure centres around Newham are celebrating an Olympic milestone this Saturday by holding a number of free, family events.
Today marks 100 days to go before the Opening Ceremony at the Olympic Stadium in Stratford on July 27, and Balaam Leisure Centre, the Atherton, and East Ham Leisure Centre are opening their doors to get residents in the sporting mood.
Balaam Leisure Centre, in Balaam Street, Plaistow, will be hosting Pool Fun Races, and Fitness Challenges this Saturday (April 21).
The Atherton Leisure Centre, in Romford Road, Stratford, invites residents of all ages to take part in a Body MOT, and Body Fat Testing, an Open Day for adults, and Member Challenges.
East Ham Leisure Centre, in Barking Road, are also running a Pool Fun Session as well as Pool Hoops Family Fun, an open Youngbloods Basketball session, Junior Badminton Drop In, Foyer and Junior Fitness Challenges, and Olympic Inspired exercise classes.
You may also want to watch:
There will also be express food demonstrations in 20 minute bursts from Jamie Oliver’s Ministry of Food.
Newham Leisure Centre, in Prince Regent Lane, Plaistow will be getting into the spirit with Olympic Themed exercise classes, Row Like an Olympian, a Kid’s Olympic Challenge, and Balloon Popping.
- 1 Engineering student wins place at Princeton University
- 2 Grade II-listed building to become creative hub with £250k refurb
- 3 West Ham sign World Cup-winning goalkeeper Alphonse Areola on loan
- 4 Fried chicken outlet to open at Westfield in Stratford
- 5 Free fitness sessions on offer in Newham as parkrun returns
- 6 The secondary schools in Newham rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 7 More than 20 places in Newham hit by flooding, council says
- 8 'Life-saving' service at Canning Town homeless charity scoops £150k
- 9 Ex-McDonald's crew member in final of national awards honouring those shaping business world
- 10 Forest Gate flats bid gets green light despite neighbours' objections
To find out more about times and age suitabilities, visit call Newham on 020 7511 4477, Balaam on 020 7476 5274, East Ham on 020 8548 5850, and the Atherton on 020 8536 5500.