Handgun among weapons seized during Newham Police’s day of action
- Credit: Archant
A 9mm handgun was among two firearms seized during a day of police action across Newham.
The weapons were discovered during the execution of a series of warrants, along with a large sum of cash, during the monthly pan-London Operation Big Wing.
Thirty arrests were made for a series of offences including handling stolen goods, drugs, burglary, assault and breaching court orders.
More than 100 staff were involved on the day, including the borough’s special constables, safer neighbourhoods teams, police staff, volunteers, street duty officers and colleagues from Newham Council.
Activities included high visibility and plain clothes patrols across the borough, number plate recognition operations, weapons sweeps and street briefings.
Superintendent Ian Larnder, from Newham Police, said: “Officers from Newham concentrated on three strands to bring together the day’s activities; these were enforcement, engagement and prevention.
“There was great feedback from members of the community who have been encouraged that this operation has been successful in reducing crime and making people in Newham feel safer.”
- 1 First Omicron case reported in Newham
- 2 Man jailed for rape after attacking woman walking back from Canning Town
- 3 Strike action will hit Central and Victoria line Night Tube services this weekend
- 4 'Extremely violent' Forest Gate robbery filmed by onlookers
- 5 Members of Mali Boys gang jailed for supplying Class A drugs into Essex
- 6 'London is moving east': City Hall's Crystal move confirmed for New Year
- 7 Westfield bar's licence under threat after girl raped
- 8 12 people wanted after unlinked Newham robberies
- 9 There With You This Winter: Mayor offers £51m of funding for fuel poverty
- 10 Nine rescue pets looking for homes this Christmas in east London