HALF-TIME: Orient 2 Dagenham & Redbridge 0 - McGleish and Revell put Orient in the driving seat

O’s strike twice in the first half to take control of FA Cup derby clash

Leyton Orient 2 Dagenham & Redbridge 0

ORIENT made a sensational start to this FA Cup first round replay, as it took them just 82 seconds to break the deadlock.

Daggers skipper Mark Arber fouled Dean Cox as he cut in from the right and when Charlie Daniels whipped in a free-kick a static visiting defence allowed Scott McGleish a free run to fire the ball past Chris Lewington from four yards.

With the home side on top in the opening stages Alex Revell, who had scored six goals in his previous five encounters, sent a header just wide following a cross from Cox.

Daggers responded and their first chance came on eight minutes when Danny Green fired a 20-yard free-kick just wide, before Will Antwi headed a corner just over.

The visitors quickly recovered from the early shock and Antwi sent a powerful header into the arms of Orient keeper Lee Butcher in a lively opening.

Most Read

Orient’s keeper then played Daniels into trouble with a slack throw and Green cashed in. but his shot was blocked by the impressive Terrell Forbes as Orient held on to their advantage.

But it was Orient who struck again on 24 minutes when Paul-Jose Mpoku, in acres of space down the left, carved the Daggers defence open with a through ball that Alex Revell latched on to and the club’s leading scorer curled it into the corner of the net for his 10th of the season.

With a two-goal cushion Orient started to knock the ball about and Daniels went close to adding a third with a 25-yard pile-driver that flashed past the post.

In a frenetic tie the game swept from end to end and Bas Savage almost cut the deficit with a goalbound header that McGleish headed off the line.

But then Orient swept down the other end and Revell raced clear, but this time Lewington pulled off an excellent save to deny the striker.

Just before the break Jon Nurse went close with a header, but Butcher made a smart save to protect Orient’s two-goal lead.