HALF-TIME: McGleish strike puts O’s ahead in derby duel
Striker Scott McGleish struck midway through the first half to give O’s the upper hand
Orient 1 Brentford 0
ORIENT stiker Scott McGliesh fired home his third goal of the season to give Orient the lead at half time in a high-tempo derby duel against Brentford.
McGleish struck after 25 minutes to give O’s a precious advantage as they looked to climb off the foot of the table.
It was no more than the home side deserved as they made a bright start and almost grabbed a third-minute lead when Dean Cox found fit-again McGleish, who saw his fierce shot pushed away by Bees keeper Ben Hamer at his near post.
You may also want to watch:
The exertions of Tuesday night looked as if it may have taken its toll on Brentford, as Orient continued to press and Alex Revell almost netted on eight minutes when a clearance cannoned off him and skidded past the post.
But Orient’s pressure was rewarded midway through the half when McGleish fired home from close range after Revell had touched on a Charlie Daniels cross from the left.
- 1 Up to 100 drivers thwarted in crackdown on car meets in Newham
- 2 3D street art illusion brings Boleyn Ground to life
- 3 Women rescued as flat destroyed in Custom House blaze
- 4 Steven Fry stabbing: Man charged with murder to appear at Old Bailey
- 5 Fire damages house in East Ham
- 6 Steven Fry: Canning Town man to face court charged with murder
- 7 East London's 10 prettiest streets to visit
- 8 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 9 Police name Newham man fatally shot in Haringey
- 10 DJ's fundraising bid to help twin return home after months in hospital
Dean Cox went close to adding a second, and might have done better, but shot wide from 15 yards.
Brentford responded and came within a whisker of a leveller on 39 minutes when Jamie Jones failed to deal with a free kick curled in from the right by Craig Woodman and Michael Spillane knocked the ball against the woodwork with the goal gaping.
Then, on the stroke of half-time, Nicky Adams went close for the visitors when he fired an effort from 25 yards just over the bar.
Orient: Jones; Omozusi, Chorley, Forbes, Daniels; Chambers, Dawson, Spring, Cox; McGleish, Revell. Subs: Butcher, Brown, Jarvis, Cestor, Smith, Walker, M’Poku.
Orient bookings: Omozusi (13 mins foul), Spring (45 mins foul).
Brentford: Hamer, O’Connor, Woodman, Balkestein, MacDonald, Weston, Spillane, Adams, Diagouraga, Osborne, Alexander. Subs: Lee, Bean, Forster, Cort, Hudson, Wood, Legge.