HALF-TIME: McGleish strike puts O’s ahead in derby duel
Striker Scott McGleish struck midway through the first half to give O’s the upper hand
Orient 1 Brentford 0
ORIENT stiker Scott McGliesh fired home his third goal of the season to give Orient the lead at half time in a high-tempo derby duel against Brentford.
McGleish struck after 25 minutes to give O’s a precious advantage as they looked to climb off the foot of the table.
It was no more than the home side deserved as they made a bright start and almost grabbed a third-minute lead when Dean Cox found fit-again McGleish, who saw his fierce shot pushed away by Bees keeper Ben Hamer at his near post.
You may also want to watch:
The exertions of Tuesday night looked as if it may have taken its toll on Brentford, as Orient continued to press and Alex Revell almost netted on eight minutes when a clearance cannoned off him and skidded past the post.
But Orient’s pressure was rewarded midway through the half when McGleish fired home from close range after Revell had touched on a Charlie Daniels cross from the left.
- 1 The Boleyn Tavern in East Ham to welcome back punters after £1.5m restoration
- 2 London Stadium to host mass Covid-19 jabs event for north east Londoners
- 3 Delta variant accounts for majority of Covid cases in much of east London
- 4 It's been a busy week at Leyton Orient with plenty of signings expected
- 5 Thunderstorms, heavy rain forecast as Met Office issues yellow warnings
- 6 West Ham start at Newcastle as Premier League fixtures released
- 7 11 films and TV shows shot in Newham
- 8 Richard House Children's Hospice sensory garden equipment stolen
- 9 US burger chain Wendy's set to open first London restaurant in Stratford
- 10 Chief nurse of England praises Newham specialist school nurses
Dean Cox went close to adding a second, and might have done better, but shot wide from 15 yards.
Brentford responded and came within a whisker of a leveller on 39 minutes when Jamie Jones failed to deal with a free kick curled in from the right by Craig Woodman and Michael Spillane knocked the ball against the woodwork with the goal gaping.
Then, on the stroke of half-time, Nicky Adams went close for the visitors when he fired an effort from 25 yards just over the bar.
Orient: Jones; Omozusi, Chorley, Forbes, Daniels; Chambers, Dawson, Spring, Cox; McGleish, Revell. Subs: Butcher, Brown, Jarvis, Cestor, Smith, Walker, M’Poku.
Orient bookings: Omozusi (13 mins foul), Spring (45 mins foul).
Brentford: Hamer, O’Connor, Woodman, Balkestein, MacDonald, Weston, Spillane, Adams, Diagouraga, Osborne, Alexander. Subs: Lee, Bean, Forster, Cort, Hudson, Wood, Legge.