Hairs to you!
THINGS are getting hairy at a Plaistow primary school.
Joe Fisher and Alistair Anderson are among six teachers at New City Primary in New City Road taking part in a charity beard growing competition.
The idea was the brainchild of Joe who said: “Our head teacher is always encouraging staff to think of exciting and different ways of raising money for the school – this one we haven’t tried before.
“And with a highly competitive streak among my colleagues, I am on the look out for all sorts of tricks to be tried.
“We are accepting sponsorships and the money raised will be split between the school and the winning beard’s chosen charity.”
You may also want to watch:
With the competition lasting one month, there could be some lengthy beards by the end of it.
Head teacher and judge Jackie Withnall said: “I get asked to judge lots of competitions in school – but never like this one before.
- 1 Engineering student wins place at Princeton University
- 2 Barts Trust ends major incident but situation 'critical' at Whipps Cross
- 3 Grade II-listed building to become creative hub with £250k refurb
- 4 New developments given the green light in Newham so far this year
- 5 Inquest: Newham driver died of 'misadventure' after Redbridge police chase
- 6 Fried chicken outlet to open at Westfield in Stratford
- 7 Steward admits lanyard theft ahead of Euro 2020 final
- 8 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 9 'Life-saving' service at Canning Town homeless charity scoops £150k
- 10 West Ham sign World Cup-winning goalkeeper Alphonse Areola on loan
“I think it’s going to be a hard task. I might have to ask for some help.”
Hairs to you New City teachers, as everyone looks forward to seeing your fully grown, and proud new beards.