Gunman jailed for East Ham killing
PUBLISHED: 16:30 06 October 2011
A Kosovan who shot dead two countrymen and attempted to kill another has been sentenced to life and told he must serve at least 20 years behind bars.
Hajdar Kasumaj, 51, was found guilty at Woolwich Crown Court of two manslaughter charges on the grounds of diminished responsibility, an attempted murder and firearms offences.
One of his victims was Osman Grbic, 58, who was killed at his home in Milton Avenue, East Ham, on July 9, 2010.
Kasumaj’s shooting spree had started the day before. Police found a man shot near Hendon Way, Cricklewood, close to the home of Nezir Golaj, 45.
Kasumaj had shot him a number of times as he got into his car. Though injured, he managed to drive away, but only a short distance.
The next night police were called to a shooting in Wightman Road, Hornsey.
Victim Safet Rakaj, 43, had been chased from his home and shots were fired a number of times.
Injured Mr Rakaj was treated at hospital for a gunshot wound and still has a bullet lodged in his back.
A couple of hours later police were at Grbic’s flat in Milton Avenue after receiving a call from the friend of a resident.
Officers forced their way into the flat and found Mr Grbic dead from gunshot wounds.
Kasumaj was arrested soon afterwards.
Det Chief Insp Andy Redwood, from the Homicide and Serious Crime Command, leading the investigation said: “Kasumaj carried out these shootings because he believed he was owed money by each of the victims.
“He used a handgun to shoot the victims at close range – it was a miracle no-one else was hit.
“I just hope that the victims’ families can take some comfort from today’s sentencing”
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Newham Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.