Groundwork begins at Royal Docks on �30m eco centre
Global sustainability centre on the rise
Groundwork has begun on a �30 million green project in Newham’s Royal Docks.
The Siemens Pavilion global sustainability centre at Royal Victoria Dock is the flagship of an eco-friendly business district promoted by London Mayor Boris Johnson and Newham Council, which is designed to create up top 6,000 jobs in the area.
Mr Johnson said: “Siemens commitment to London is a thumbs up for the skills our city has in green and other sustainable technologies.
“With this global electronics and engineering giant’s plans far advanced, we will do all we can to bring together the capital’s invaluable expertise with Siemens’ amazing pool of international technology pioneers.”
You may also want to watch:
In addition to offices for city planners and engineers, Siemens plans to host a major, state-of-the-art public exhibition on sustainable development at the centre.
The venue will also host conferences at its 300-seat auditorium and provide facilities, including a shop, restaurant and cafe.
- 1 Take a peek inside The Boleyn Tavern as it prepares to welcome punters
- 2 Investigation launched after two young men stabbed in Newham
- 3 Watch out for these disruptions to your journey by road and rail this week
- 4 The Boleyn Tavern in East Ham to welcome back punters after £1.5m restoration
- 5 Arrests in Ilford and East Ham as police target suspected county lines gang
- 6 11 films and TV shows shot in Newham
- 7 Levels youngsters sign Premier League and Football League contracts
- 8 US burger chain Wendy's set to open first London restaurant in Stratford
- 9 Connor Wood keen to keep developing at Leyton Orient under Kenny Jackett
- 10 Dagenham & Redbridge interested in former Leyton Orient full-back Sam Ling
The eco-friendly 3,687 sq m building will be constructed in two crystal-shaped sections and use solar power and energy efficient lighting.
As well as a 230 workforce, the development is expected to create around another 50 jobs in the area.
The building is expected to be completed by mid-2012.