Greenway murder trial: Lithuanian man suffered 39 bodily injuries, court hears

PUBLISHED: 18:05 05 August 2015 | UPDATED: 18:06 05 August 2015

Mantas Ziedavicius was stabbed to death in a greenway in East Ham

Mantas Ziedavicius was stabbed to death in a greenway in East Ham


A man found dying on a public thoroughfare had suffered 39 different injuries to his body, a court heard today.

Agency worker Mantas Ziedavicius, 29, of Frinton Avenue, East Ham, was discovered in Greenway, less than a mile from his home, at about 1.30am on February 24.

Jurors heard how a passer-by had alerted the emergency services after finding Mr Ziedavicius, a Lithuanian national, suffering with stab wounds in the thoroughfare, close to Lonsdale Avenue. Medical staff later pronounced him dead at the scene.

Pavels Rozkovs, 42, from Hastings and Hennadiy Yelizarou, 21, of no fixed address, are on trial at the Inner London Crown Court, charged with Mr Ziedavicius’ murder.

The court heard how Mr Ziedavicius had died as a result of blood loss after receiving up to 39 injuries following a violent assault.

Dr Benjimin Swift told jurors that Mr Ziedavicius, who had received significant injuries to his forehead, eyes, eye socket, and right ear, had been attacked with broken glass.

The medic said he also found bruising and wounds to the inside of his neck, adding: “These would indicate that during the altercation there had been compression, either by manual means or he had been held in a headlock position.”

Jurors heard how Mr Ziedavicius had called a European emergency number on the night of his death to tell them he was dying. A woman who lived nearby also called the police after hearing noises.

During the trial, it emerged that Mr Rozkovs had entered the country a month before the incident.

He was visiting a friend in East Ham the weekend of Mr Ziedavicius’ death after his daughter, Victoria Rozkovs, told him to leave her Hastings home following an argument over his use of alcohol, jurors heard.

Giving evidence, Miss Rozkovs said: “When he came back he was smelling of alcohol and I felt as if he had been drinking but I was not sure whether this was from the day before.

“He was also wearing different clothes. The jacket was a smaller size than him and he was wearing trainers. I asked where his clothes were, he said they were broken. He seemed quite nervous.

“He said he didn’t want to go back to London because there was a problem”

Both defendants deny the charges. The trail continues.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Newham Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Newham Recorder