Greenway and View Tube overlooking the Olympic Park in Stratford reopens
The View Tube overlooking the Olympic Park has reopened to the public with an expanded cafe along the Greenway it nestles along.
An improved viewing gallery, meeting space and a bike hire stall, run by social enterprise Bikeworks, will also be launched soon. The stall will be located along the section of the Greenway foot and cyclepath leading up to its entrance.
The View Tube, made of green shipping containers, near Pudding Mill Lane, was visited by thousands of cyclists and walkers before the London Games trying to catch a glimpse of building works.
It was closed during the Games but now visitors will be able to get a bird’s eye view as the surrounding land is transformed into the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park.
The venue also has an education, arts and wildlife centre and loo, all build built from old containers. Moka East, the family run cafe inside, will now also have an outdoor terrace.
You may also want to watch:
Chief executive of the London Legacy Development Corporation, Dennis Hone, said: “Along with the bus tours we launched last month, this is another way for people to see the creation of the park.
“The View Tube has become one of the most popular places to visit since the Olympic Park started. Now it has been expanded to become a larger community hub bringing people together as their new Park is created in front of them.”
- 1 The secondary schools in Newham rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 2 Canning Town bus station stays closed as 'urgent' investigation underway
- 3 Can you help find man missing from Royal Docks?
- 4 Man injured as glass falls from Canning Town bus station canopy
- 5 Men from Canning Town and Leytonstone charged with theft from Wembley Stadium
- 6 Appeal after man allegedly 'spits at' woman travelling through Whitechapel, West Ham and Barking
- 7 High Court judge rules no further action needed over embargo breach by Newham company boss
- 8 Weather warning in place with east London set for thundery weekend
- 9 Boy, 16, found stabbed in Custom House
- 10 Man suffers 'life-changing' injuries in Plaistow bicycle crash
The Greenway is open from 7am to 7pm and the View Tube 9am – 5pm seven days a week.
The Greenway constructed on the embankment containing the Northern Outfall Sewer runs from Wick Lane in Bow through Stratford, Plaistow and Newham to Royal Docks Road in Beckton.
Bus tours of the park also run on Wednesdays Thursdays and some weekends until it reopens next July. To contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0800 023 2030.