Green Street restaurant ‘stayed open as building blazed’
Diners at the Forest Gate restaurant damaged by fire yesterday carried on eating while, unknown to them and staff, flames raged above, it has emerged.
The Khana Khazana, in Green Street, could be closed for weeks while fire and building inspections take place.
Meanwhile, the pavement area outside the restaurant, at the junction with Woodstock Road, has been closed to the public during the investigations.
Contractors at the scene this afternoon said they were awaiting reports on the state of the building and did not rule out the possibility of a prolonged closure.
The blaze tore through a hall on the first floor from 2.20pm yesterday.
You may also want to watch:
The operation, which involved 40 firefighters, forced the closure of Green Street for more than six hours from Romford Road to Plashet Grove, disrupting football fans heading for Upton Park to see West Ham United’s top of the table clash with Southampton.
Bus routes 58 and 330 were diverted, while routes 104 and 238, which were already on diversion onto Green Street, were also forced elsewhere.
- 1 Footage shows crowd piling onto train at Canning Town station
- 2 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 3 NHS Nightingale London opens to patients without Covid-19
- 4 Forest Gate man, 21, charged with dangerous and drug driving
- 5 NHS 'concerned' about Covid vaccine uptake in Newham
- 6 Half of people in Newham may have had Covid-19, analysis reveals
- 7 Serial fraudster who set up fake real estate company jailed for six years
- 8 'Kindly keep out of Stratford': Johnson criticised over cycling trip
- 9 Double murder charge over stabbings, as police name victims
- 10 Dangerous driver arrested after police find drugs and £28k cash
Lewis Orrow, Stratford Red Watch manager, said crews were still in place well into this morning.
He said: “There was a lot of refurbishment work going on before the fire.
“There would have been little pockets of fire that were difficult to get to, we weren’t going to risk people going in there.”