Green Street closed after Forest Gate restaurant hit by fire
Around 40 firefighters tackled a blaze above a restaurant in Forest Gate this afternoon.
Crews from Plaistow and Stratford are among 40 at Khana Khazana in Green Street. They first got the call at 2.20pm.
Green Street was shut to motorists between Romford Road and Plashet Grove.
The closure affected West Ham fans travelling to tonight’s table topping clash with Southampton at Upton Park.
The fire is affecting part of the first floor of the building, which is currently being renovated.
You may also want to watch:
Station manager Richard Welch, who is at the scene, said: “This is quite a challenging incident as part of the building is currently under refurbishment and gaining access is difficult.
“At the moment crews are working extremely hard to bring the fire under control.”
- 1 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 2 Worshippers at mosque in Upton Park aim to raise £35k for Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal 2021
- 3 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 4 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 5 Man given community order for 26 counts of criminal damage after scratching name into property
- 6 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 7 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 8 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 9 Player ratings: Cresswell shines for West Ham in KRC Genk victory
- 10 Newham mathematician to fill in for Countdown presenter and expectant mum Rachel Riley
The cause of the fire is not known at this stage.