Green Street closed after Forest Gate restaurant hit by fire
Around 40 firefighters tackled a blaze above a restaurant in Forest Gate this afternoon.
Crews from Plaistow and Stratford are among 40 at Khana Khazana in Green Street. They first got the call at 2.20pm.
Green Street was shut to motorists between Romford Road and Plashet Grove.
The closure affected West Ham fans travelling to tonight’s table topping clash with Southampton at Upton Park.
The fire is affecting part of the first floor of the building, which is currently being renovated.
You may also want to watch:
Station manager Richard Welch, who is at the scene, said: “This is quite a challenging incident as part of the building is currently under refurbishment and gaining access is difficult.
“At the moment crews are working extremely hard to bring the fire under control.”
- 1 Fried chicken outlet to open at Westfield in Stratford
- 2 Forest Gate flats bid gets green light despite neighbours' objections
- 3 More than 20 places in Newham hit by flooding, council says
- 4 Leyton Orient still looking to add one or two new signings
- 5 Clean-up underway after flash floods hit Newham
- 6 Tributes to Pearly King of Newham who has died aged 79
- 7 Kitchens from independent chefs coming to Beckton in Raymond Blanc-supported project
- 8 Engineering student wins place at Princeton University
- 9 School's out!: Newham puts on jam-packed summer holiday activities programme
- 10 The secondary schools in Newham rated outstanding by Ofsted
The cause of the fire is not known at this stage.