Green Street closed after Forest Gate restaurant hit by fire
Around 40 firefighters tackled a blaze above a restaurant in Forest Gate this afternoon.
Crews from Plaistow and Stratford are among 40 at Khana Khazana in Green Street. They first got the call at 2.20pm.
Green Street was shut to motorists between Romford Road and Plashet Grove.
The closure affected West Ham fans travelling to tonight’s table topping clash with Southampton at Upton Park.
The fire is affecting part of the first floor of the building, which is currently being renovated.
You may also want to watch:
Station manager Richard Welch, who is at the scene, said: “This is quite a challenging incident as part of the building is currently under refurbishment and gaining access is difficult.
“At the moment crews are working extremely hard to bring the fire under control.”
- 1 Take a peek inside The Boleyn Tavern as it prepares to welcome punters
- 2 Investigation launched after two young men stabbed in Newham
- 3 Looking back: five years since West Ham United left the Boleyn
- 4 Met launches summer operation as teen killings surge
- 5 Demand for urgent action as Newham lags behind in Covid-19 jabs
- 6 Arrests in Ilford and East Ham as police target suspected county lines gang
- 7 Tokyo or bust for Newham Beagles and Olympic hero Sir Mo Farah
- 8 Charting Jack the Ripper's 'rival' in the West Ham murders
- 9 The Boleyn Tavern in East Ham to welcome back punters after £1.5m restoration
- 10 How Ben Levinson OBE has helped turn around Kensington Primary School
The cause of the fire is not known at this stage.