Great Run series comes to Olympic Park
- Credit: Newham Council
Newham is set to join the likes of Newcastle, Glasgow and Birmingham in hosting a Great Run for the next 10 years.
The Great Newham London Run will see the council and the scheme’s organisers, Nova, working together to establish it as a key event on the running partnership.
Established by former Olympic medallist Brendan Foster in 1988, the Great Run programme has become the world’s biggest mass participation running series.
The ambition is for 400,000 participants to race through Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park and cross the finish line in the former Olympic Stadium over the decade.
Friends and family can also take a seat in the stadium to cheer on their loved ones.
You may also want to watch:
There will be 20,000 free places available to the borough’s residents for the runs.
The Mayor of Newham, Sir Robin Wales, said: “This new partnership not only delivers income to the council, but also offers residents the opportunity to get active and celebrate Newham as a place to live and work.
- 1 Halal butcher's aiming to be 'Harrods of meat industry' opens in Stratford
- 2 Parking space row sees police called and woman left feeling 'vulnerable'
- 3 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
- 4 'Simply horrifying': Newham MPs react after stabbing of Sir David Amess
- 5 Family given 'gift' of week to say goodbye to son who died at 10 minutes old
- 6 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 7 Forest Gate townhouses scoop RIBA's Neave Brown award for 'affordable' housing
- 8 Plan to transform Royal Docks into 'world-leading' cultural hub unveiled
- 9 Beckton man due to be sentenced for sexual assault of young girl
- 10 Update: Girl, 14, missing from East Ham found
“We want the Great Newham London Run to be as successful as the Great North Run.”
Nova chairman, Brendan Foster, added: “Newham is the perfect place in London to hold this major mass participation running event.
“The former Olympic Stadium is the centrepiece of an amazing area that has been transformed over the past decade.”
The first Great Newham London Run will take place next year.