Great Newham London Swim at Royal Victoria Dock
- Credit: Archant
Swimmers will be making a splash today as they take on the Great Newham London Swim.
The open-water course in the Royal Victoria Dock will see 1,500 swimmers of all ages and abilities tackle either a half-mile or one-mile swim, many doing so in the name of charity.
Among those braving the cold water is Shahid Badshah.
The 33-year-old hopes to raise £2,000 for the London Air Ambulance and said: “Newham is such a fantastic borough and as a resident born and raised in the borough I also love the idea of local residents having the opportunity to swim together in the Dock.”
Among the famous faces to look out for are television presenter Andy Akinwolere and Towie star Ferne McCann.
You may also want to watch:
She said: “I think the atmosphere will be amazing, with all the supporters and other competitors.
“But when you’re doing it – when you’re in the water, you’re on your own – that’s daunting.
- 1 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 2 Westfield Stratford City reopens after shop fire caused by electrical fault
- 3 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020
- 4 Manor Park Fitness Centre closing to make way for 'affordable' homes
- 5 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
- 6 Neighbours call for mortuary car wash plans to be reversed
- 7 Two hospitalised as 60 firefighters tackle blaze in Stratford
- 8 Westfield evacuated after fire at centre in Stratford
- 9 Pressure mounts on town hall with second Stratford Circus protest
- 10 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
“It’s going to be cold but I’ve been told I won’t notice after a while!”
The Great Newham London Swim is the fourth Great Swim event of 2015.
It will finish alongside the ExCel and participants will be supported by a team of safety kayakers and lifeguards.