Great Newham London Swim at Royal Victoria Dock
- Credit: Archant
Swimmers will be making a splash today as they take on the Great Newham London Swim.
The open-water course in the Royal Victoria Dock will see 1,500 swimmers of all ages and abilities tackle either a half-mile or one-mile swim, many doing so in the name of charity.
Among those braving the cold water is Shahid Badshah.
The 33-year-old hopes to raise £2,000 for the London Air Ambulance and said: “Newham is such a fantastic borough and as a resident born and raised in the borough I also love the idea of local residents having the opportunity to swim together in the Dock.”
Among the famous faces to look out for are television presenter Andy Akinwolere and Towie star Ferne McCann.
She said: “I think the atmosphere will be amazing, with all the supporters and other competitors.
“But when you’re doing it – when you’re in the water, you’re on your own – that’s daunting.
- 1 Colleges offer 'alternative paths' towards fruitful careers, principal says
- 2 Newham A Level results 2022: Live updates for borough's schools
- 3 West Ham United reveal Thames Ironworks-inspired third kit
- 4 London Assembly: TfL urged to rethink plans to cut 78 bus routes
- 5 Recap: Tree on the tracks disrupts London, Stansted and Cambridge trains
- 6 West Ham United tie is big deal for Danes warns Reid
- 7 Kehrer can 'bring a number of things' to West Ham United
- 8 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 9 Reward offered to trace Maryland fatal stabbing 'suspect'
- 10 Thames Water: Hosepipe ban announced for London and Thames Valley
“It’s going to be cold but I’ve been told I won’t notice after a while!”
The Great Newham London Swim is the fourth Great Swim event of 2015.
It will finish alongside the ExCel and participants will be supported by a team of safety kayakers and lifeguards.