Gourmet Burger Kitchen to close 17 branches
- Credit: Archant
Gourmet Burger Kitchen has announced it is to close 17 branches after running up losses of millions of pounds.
GBK operates around 80 stores including branches in Westfield Stratford, Tower Bridge, Canary Wharf and Spitalfields and employs 2,000 people.
The group, owned by South Africa’s Famous Brands, has announced plans for a Company Voluntary Arrangement (CVA), an insolvency procedure which allows struggling firms to dump unprofitable stores.
The company said earlier this month that it faces losses of £47.2 million due to the brand’s sustained under-performance.
Creditors will vote on the proposed closures at a meeting on November 9. All restaurants will continue trading in the meantime
You may also want to watch:
Around 250 job will be lost by the branch closures.
- 1 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 2 Footage shows crowd piling onto train at Canning Town station
- 3 Forest Gate man, 21, charged with dangerous and drug driving
- 4 Newham's Covid-19 case rate 'huge' but there is 'light at end of the tunnel'
- 5 Double murder accused remanded in custody over ‘brutal’ stabbings
- 6 NHS Nightingale London opens to patients without Covid-19
- 7 Volunteers out to bust Covid jab myths and false conspiracy theories
- 8 Dangerous driver arrested after police find drugs and £28k cash
- 9 NHS 'concerned' about Covid vaccine uptake in Newham
- 10 Serial fraudster who set up fake real estate company jailed for six years