Good turnout for East Ham street clean-up
The sun shone on volunteers who spent a whole morning cleaning up a road in East Ham.
More than 60 people took to Ron Leighton Way on Wednesday and collected a total of 60 bags of litter and dumped goods.
They included a vacuum cleaner, trolley and a door, which were hidden beneath shrubbery planted at the sides of the road.
Residents were also helped by workers from Lloyds TSB, Morgan Stanley and Freemantle Media.
The event was organised by CleanupUK as part of the Greater London Assembly’s Capital Clean Up series to keep Newham clean ahead of the Olympics.
You may also want to watch:
Emma Harrington, from CleanupUK, was delighted by the turnout.
She said: “You never know how many people arfe going to come out, especially on a Wednesday morning, so this was very successful.
- 1 Jailed: Robbers who targeted OAPs at east London cashpoints
- 2 Kacem Mokrane: Newham man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 3 David Gomoh's killers jailed 101 years total for Canning Town murder
- 4 Watch the moment 'stolen' car drives into vehicles in East Ham
- 5 Plans to ease congestion at Stratford station receive £2m boost
- 6 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 7 Steven Fry stabbing: Custom House victim named in murder investigation
- 8 Court date adjourned for Beckton man who sexually assaulted young girl
- 9 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London
- 10 Jailed: 'Sadistically cruel' East Ham man who raped, assaulted victim
“A street cleaner was out on her regular round at the same time and she thanked us.
“It was really good to get that kind of feedback - I’m really, really pleased.”