‘Global justice’ conference for Newham students
- Credit: Archant
A student conference will be held at a Newham college to explore the issues of poverty, human rights and the environment.
The event at Newham Sixth Form College this weekend will feature talks, practical workshops, debates, films and stalls.
Green party MP Caroline Lucas and Saci Lloyd, a Newham activist and teacher at the college, will be among the guest speakers, and there will be live music from hiphop artist Akala.
The conference will also see the launch of the Sweatshop Free campaign to have schools, colleges and universities buy clothes and electronic goods in an ethical way.
The event is organised by People and Planet, a student-led movement that supports 20,000 young people taking action for social and environmental justice each year.
You may also want to watch:
Tickets start from £16 for a single day to £29 for the full weekend.
Students in London can use the ‘Buy one Shared Planet ticket and get a second ticket for a fiver’ offer.
- 1 New developments given the green light in Newham so far this year
- 2 Steward admits lanyard theft ahead of Euro 2020 final
- 3 Barts Trust ends major incident but situation 'critical' at Whipps Cross
- 4 Woodford Green and Forest Gate residents criticise councils over flooding
- 5 Inquest: Newham driver died of 'misadventure' after Redbridge police chase
- 6 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 7 Grade II-listed building to become creative hub with £250k refurb
- 8 Engineering student wins place at Princeton University
- 9 Forest Gate flats bid gets green light despite neighbours' objections
- 10 Win a pair of Carabao Cup tickets to Leyton Orient vs Queens Park Rangers
For more information visit www.peopleandplanet.org/shared-planet-2013.