‘Global justice’ conference for Newham students
- Credit: Archant
A student conference will be held at a Newham college to explore the issues of poverty, human rights and the environment.
The event at Newham Sixth Form College this weekend will feature talks, practical workshops, debates, films and stalls.
Green party MP Caroline Lucas and Saci Lloyd, a Newham activist and teacher at the college, will be among the guest speakers, and there will be live music from hiphop artist Akala.
The conference will also see the launch of the Sweatshop Free campaign to have schools, colleges and universities buy clothes and electronic goods in an ethical way.
The event is organised by People and Planet, a student-led movement that supports 20,000 young people taking action for social and environmental justice each year.
You may also want to watch:
Tickets start from £16 for a single day to £29 for the full weekend.
Students in London can use the ‘Buy one Shared Planet ticket and get a second ticket for a fiver’ offer.
- 1 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 2 'Cheating surge': Dating site reveals how many people are having affairs in your area
- 3 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 4 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 5 Man given community order for 26 counts of criminal damage after scratching name into property
- 6 Sir David Amess remembered as 'loved husband, father, MP and St Bon's boy'
- 7 Gallions Reach chef to be judged by Michel Roux Jr as finalist for prestigious title
- 8 Newham mathematician to fill in for Countdown presenter and expectant mum Rachel Riley
- 9 Candle causes Stratford flat fire which saw two people in hospital
- 10 241-home development at Royal Albert Wharf marks 12-storey milestone
For more information visit www.peopleandplanet.org/shared-planet-2013.