‘Global justice’ conference for Newham students
- Credit: Archant
A student conference will be held at a Newham college to explore the issues of poverty, human rights and the environment.
The event at Newham Sixth Form College this weekend will feature talks, practical workshops, debates, films and stalls.
Green party MP Caroline Lucas and Saci Lloyd, a Newham activist and teacher at the college, will be among the guest speakers, and there will be live music from hiphop artist Akala.
The conference will also see the launch of the Sweatshop Free campaign to have schools, colleges and universities buy clothes and electronic goods in an ethical way.
The event is organised by People and Planet, a student-led movement that supports 20,000 young people taking action for social and environmental justice each year.
Tickets start from £16 for a single day to £29 for the full weekend.
Students in London can use the ‘Buy one Shared Planet ticket and get a second ticket for a fiver’ offer.
- 1 Newham A Level results 2022: Live updates for borough's schools
- 2 Kehrer can 'bring a number of things' to West Ham United
- 3 Plenty more to come from West Ham's Scamacca says McKinlay
- 4 London Assembly: TfL urged to rethink plans to cut 78 bus routes
- 5 Colleges offer 'alternative paths' towards fruitful careers, principal says
- 6 Reward offered to trace Maryland fatal stabbing 'suspect'
- 7 Jailed: Eight east London offenders locked up in July
- 8 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 9 'There is a cover-up going on somewhere', says flat death OAP's daughter
- 10 Thames Water: Hosepipe ban announced for London and Thames Valley
For more information visit www.peopleandplanet.org/shared-planet-2013.