Giant cake marks 50th anniversary at East Ham park
- Credit: Andrew Baker
Newham’s 50th anniversary was celebrated with a party in Central Park - and like all good parties, there was cake.
In this case, however, it was a giant one specially created to mark half a century since the borough’s creation.
Around 500 people flocked to the East Ham park to join in the fun, which included balloon modelling, face painting and a giant chess board.
While there was no charge for people to attend the party, they were encouraged to bring food and games to share with their neighbours.
Cllr Lakmini Shah said: “I was delighted so many people enjoyed the fun in Central Park.
You may also want to watch:
“These garden parties underline the whole ethos of our community neighbourhood teams of creating a strong community spirit among residents in local areas.
“This helps people meet new friends and enjoy new experiences as well as building more resilient communities.”
- 1 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
- 2 Halal butcher's aiming to be 'Harrods of meat industry' opens in Stratford
- 3 Parking space row sees police called and woman left feeling 'vulnerable'
- 4 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 5 Forest Gate townhouses scoop RIBA's Neave Brown award for 'affordable' housing
- 6 'Simply horrifying': Newham MPs react after stabbing of Sir David Amess
- 7 Plan to transform Royal Docks into 'world-leading' cultural hub unveiled
- 8 Beckton man due to be sentenced for sexual assault of young girl
- 9 CCTV image released after rape reported in Forest Gate
- 10 Man in critical condition after triple shooting in Newham
It was organised by the community neighbourhood team, with more garden parties set to be held in the coming months.
The next two are at Priory Park and First Avenue Community Garden, both from 12pm on Saturday, July 25.