Fire breaks out at Beckton superstore
- Credit: London Fire Brigade
Forty firefighters battled a blaze outside a superstore in Beckton overnight after pallets and cardboard boxes went up in flames.
A stack of pallets was destroyed and a small part of the roof at first floor level on the building in Tollgate Road was damaged by the blaze, which was caused by a backup power generator overheating.
The brigade was called at 9.37pm yesterday (Sunday, February 28) and the fire was under control shortly after midnight.
There were no reported injuries.
Leading firefighter Nick Matthews, who was at the scene, said: “Crews were initially called to reports of a bin alight and as we approached we saw an orange glow coming from behind a brick wall.
You may also want to watch:
“Upon investigation, we found that it was actually a stack of pallets and cardboard boxes that were alight.
"They had been stored outside and placed too close to a generator, which overheated and ignited the pallets and boxes.
- 1 Ex-student who got MIT scholarship sets up tutor business to help others
- 2 'Council houses now': Protesters stage action over empty homes
- 3 Newham to start weekly recycling collections
- 4 Anonymous tip off could hold key to murder of Sami Sidhom three years later
- 5 Website helps disadvantaged youth understand job roles to raise aspirations
- 6 Town hall chiefs back £3m purchase of Plaistow property for rough sleeper centre
- 7 Police officer jailed for GBH after injuring man in Forest Gate
- 8 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 9 Santino Dymiter murder: Teens given life terms for 'savage' gang killing
- 10 Operose: Addressing 'understandable' concerns over GP takeover
“Crews worked incredibly hard to bring the fire under control and prevent further damage."