Gary Neville and Ryan Giggs bring ‘Cafe football’ to Westfield
- Credit: Archant
Traditional half time food is set to be dished up with a twist at a new restaurant being opened by Ryan Giggs and Gary Neville celebrating the beautiful game.
The legendary former Manchester United team-mates are going into business together to bring Café Football to Westfield Stratford City.
It promises to give the club’s legion of southern fans – famously derided by ex-captain Roy Keane as the “prawn sandwich brigade” – a café capturing “authentic football culture”.
Gary Neville, who has established himself as a leading football pundit since retiring as a right back, said: “Opening a new restaurant is an exciting prospect for us.
“Our aim is to create a dining experience which can be enjoyed by people who love food and love football.”
The café, in Westfield’s dining section The Street, will seat 140 people and bring 40 jobs to the area when it opens later this month.
Its menu has been designed by two Michelin star chef Michael Wignall – and promises to see traditional half time fare transformed.
- 1 3 arrests after death of man found unresponsive in Beckton
- 2 Maryland machete murderer found guilty - as police hunt second attacker
- 3 Jailed: Forest Gate serial arsonist who started more than two dozen fires
- 4 Man charged with Beckton murder as victim named
- 5 Jailed: 8 east London offenders put behind bars in June
- 6 The Rolling Stones prove rock ‘n’ roll is alive and kicking at Hyde Park
- 7 Police officer sacked for 'turning blind eye’ to criminal husband
- 8 Have you seen Lisa, 47, who is missing from Forest Gate?
- 9 E-fit released after woman sexually assaulted in Newham
- 10 Inside east London's new £30m Olympic-size ice centre
Among its staples will be pies, lamb kebabs and sausage rolls. Desserts on offer include half time oranges “with a twist” of parfait and cream, and a “pistachio turf” sponge and chocolate in the shape of a football pitch.
For those looking for a half time refreshment can sip on a Red Devil cocktail – a drink which nails Giggs’ and Neville’s colours firmly to the mast.
Ryan Giggs, who remains a player/coach at Manchester United, said: “We will be operating alongside some of the world’s most famous brands and we’re sure our offering will add something unique to this already fantastic shopping and leisure district.
“There is a real sense of community within fans and we want that fun atmosphere to spread to Café Football — it will be a place that reflects the spirit of fans coming together after a match.”
The restaurant’s manager, Liz Reece, added: “We are currently in the process of building a skilled team, who will make dining at the restaurant an unforgettable experience for everyone who visits us.”