Gallery: Playtime takes over as Forest Gate road is closed to cars
- Credit: Archant
Children replaced cars when a section of a Forest Gate road was closed for Newham’s first ever “playstreet”.
About 160 people headed down to Tyleny Road on Sunday to take part in old fashioned games such as hopscotch and skipping, free from traffic.
Newham NCT chair Kelly Drake, who was among those who organised the event, said: “It was a marvellous day and the children had an absolutely fantastic time.
“It was very local, with everyone from within about a five street radius. It was lovely to see the kids out there without fear of cars.
“Older people commented how fantastic it was to have children playing in the streets like they used to and neighbours and residents were also very positive.”
You may also want to watch:
Newham Council provided a Get the Party Started Grant to contribute towards the cost.
The parents who organised the playstreet plan to liaise with the council in the hope of making it a regular event.
- 1 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 2 Manor Park Fitness Centre closing to make way for 'affordable' homes
- 3 Two hospitalised as 60 firefighters tackle blaze in Stratford
- 4 92 arrests as police respond to community concerns about crime
- 5 Newham mathematician to fill in for Countdown presenter and expectant mum Rachel Riley
- 6 Stephen Timms 'cannot forgive attacker without meeting face-to-face'
- 7 Westfield Stratford City reopens after shop fire caused by electrical fault
- 8 Newham to 'bring back the broom' as recycling gets boost
- 9 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
- 10 Fast food! Lewis Hamilton-backed chain opening east London branches