Funeral of Newham man who died suddenly to take place in Ilford
- Credit: Archant
The funeral of a man who spent most of his life working in Newham will be held on Friday.
Isaiah Charles, 79, died suddenly on December 1 in Ilford.
Although he and his wife Sylvia moved to Ilford 10 years ago, the couple spent most of their lives in Forest Gate where they raised their two daughters and a son. He worked as a foreman at a furniture factory and Ford in Dagenham before trying his hand as a minicab driver for a firm in Earlham Grove, Forest Gate.
Just four years ago the couple, who came from Antigua, celebrated their golden wedding anniversary with a trip on the Orient Express but also renewed their wedding vows at All Saints Church in Forest Gate.
Their daughter Megan said: “Dad was a wonderful man with a good sense of humour. He had very simple needs – he wanted his dinner, his newspaper and to watch the cricket. We’re devastated at his loss but we know all friends will feel the same.
You may also want to watch:
“They are welcome to attend the funeral and pay their last respects.”
He is survived by his wife Sylvia, the couples three children and two grandchildren.
- 1 East Ham cannabis farm raided by police
- 2 'It's about safety': Manor Park neighbours urge council to crack down on pavement parking
- 3 Start Me Up: Rolling Stones legend Ronnie Wood opens studio in Canning Town for budding musicians
- 4 Bus crashes into lamp post in Stratford
- 5 Jailed: 'Violent' Beckton man who threatened to chop off ex-partner's head
- 6 Transfer round-up: Leyton Orient bring in eight as departures find new clubs
- 7 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 8 Free climber scales Stratford skyscraper for climate change awareness
- 9 Roof destroyed by fire in Upton Park
- 10 Meet the weight-loss runner using Newham as a canvas
The funeral will be held at 9.30am at The Drive Methodist Church in The Drive, Ilford. It will be followed by interment at the City of London Cemetary and Crematorium in Aldersbrook Road, Manor Park. Friends and Relatives are welcome to attend.