Fund-raising hopes dashed after East Ham bag loss
A woman hoping to walk along the Great Wall of China for charity is making a desperate plea for help in finding her lost bag containing vital papers.
Zainab Khan, who comes from Coventry, was on a bus in East Ham yesterday afternoon but became distracted while talking with another passenger.
When she realised the bag was missing she got off the bus and reported the loss to Forest Gate police.
The white plastic bag, which has a red logo with the words ‘West Orchards 50 Years Coventry’ contains her important ID and sponsorship forms for the event.
Without them she will be unable to join Great Wall walkers in October and would lose the �2,000 already pledged by sponsors.
She told the Recorder: “There is nothing of value to anyone else in the bag but it means the world to me. I waited for two hours at the bus stop asking about the loss and I have not been able to sleep, thinking about it. It is my first trip to London and now this has happened.”
She does not know which bus she was on but was trying to get to Ilford where she is staying with friends
- 1 Stratford roof-terrace restaurant destroyed by late-night fire
- 2 Man dies after falling unwell in Stratford
- 3 Homes under the Planner: Applications lodged and approved in Newham
- 4 The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee flypast: Where, and when, the planes will fly over north and east London
- 5 Man held in murder probe after woman fatally stabbed in Custom House
- 6 Queen’s Platinum Jubilee: Street parties and road closures in Newham
- 7 Man charged with fatal stabbing of woman in Custom House
- 8 Two teenagers charged after 12 phones nicked in stealing spree
- 9 'Unexplained': Man dies after being found unresponsive in Plashet Park
- 10 Wanted: Five people Newham police wish to speak to
after completing the London Bridges Walk earlier this month for Kidney Research UK.
The charity is close to Zainab as she underwent a kidney transplant herself several years ago.
Police have contacted bus operator Stagecoach in an attempt to find the bag.
Zainab, who is a long-standing fundraiser for the charity, said: “I directly appeal to anyone (who has seen the bag or knows of its whereabouts) to contact me directly on 07982819658.
“I need to send my sponsor forms to Kidney Research UK urgently or it means I am unable to complete my dream or walking the Great Wall of China.”
Linda Rogers, Events Manager for the charity, who is organising this year’s China Trek, said: “We’re so sorry to hear of Zainab’s misfortune. She’s such a dedicated supporter and has worked tirelessly in raising as much money as possible to help people who suffer from kidney disease.
“Without the forms that Zainab has lost, the Charity will be unable to claim more than �500 in Gift Aid declarations. This is a significant amount of money, which we desperately need to help fund further life-saving research.
“We’re currently only able to fund one in five of all prospective research projects into kidney disease, so every penny is vital to us.”