FULL TIME: Sheffield Wednesday 1 Leyton Orient 0

Orient dominate but are still searching for elusive away win

Orient were left still searching for their first away win in the league since January, despite being the better side at Sheffield Wednesday.

The O’s created several excellent first half chances as Dean Cox and Alex Revell both went close and Cox also had an effort kicked off the line by former O’s star Darren Purse,

But the visitors failed to cash in on their dominance and paid the price when Lewis Buxton headed home a corner six minutes after the break.

It was rough justice on the O’s, who had taken the game to their visitors, and could have been ahead as early as the sixth minute.

Scott McGleish sent in a cross and Revell met the ball and sent a header arrowing towards the roof of the net, but home keeper Nicky Weaver pulled off a stunning save.

As O’s continuted to press Matt Spring and Revell set up a chance for the live-wire Cox, but veteran defender Purse cleared the ball off the line.

Most Read

From the resultant corner O’s defender Terrell Forbes spurned the chance to grab his second goal of the season when he headed wide from close range.

Just before the break Weaver was in action action, when he turned a Cox shot around a post.

But O’s were made to pay for not taking their chances early in the second half when Gary Teale’sleft-wing corner was headed home by defender Buxton, who was allowed too much time and space at the far post.

After the setback, O’s continued to dominate possession and play some neat football, but for all their neat play they couldn’t force an equaliser.

Six minutes after the goal Russell Slade’s side almost levelled as Forbes had a header scrambled off the line and McGleish saw his follow up attempt also smuggled away.

Ben Chorley then went close with a fierce free-kick just before the hour mark, but Wednesday keeper Weaver pushed his 25-yard blast away.

Sheffield were forced to play on the break and Marcus Tudgay fired wide following a rare raid.

Matt Spring sent a shot from distance over the bar, before the O’s had a penalty claim turned down.

Skipper Steve Dawson led the charge and sent McGleish away down the left and when the O’s striker pulled the ball back, Dawson saw his fierce shot blocked by James O’Connor, with the visiting players insisting it had come off his arm.

Sheffield Wednesday: Weaver, Spurr, Buxton, Purse, Otsemobor, Miller, Potter, O’Connor, Teale, Tudgay (Mellor 78), Morrison. Subs: Jameson, Hinds, Jones, Johnson, Sedgwick, Heffernan.

Orient: Butcher, Omonzusi, Chorley, Forbes, Daniels, Chambers, Dawson, Spring, Cox (Tehoue 87), Revell (Walker 72), McGleish. Subs: Lovelock, Brown, Mike, Smith, Jarvis.

Referee: Geoff Eltringham.

Attendance: 17,445