FULL-TIME: Orient 8 Droylsden 2 (aet) Ten goals and four off as Orient win thriller

McGleish and Tehoue hit hat-tricks as Forbes and Chorley see red

Leyton Orient 8 Droylsden 2 (aet)

IN an amazing FA Cup second round replay Orient came back from a two-goal deficit to beat non-league Droylsden in game that saw 10 goals as both sides finished the game with just nine players.

O’s were just two minutes from going out of the competition, but smashed six goals in extra-time, despite playing all of the additional 30 minutes with just NINE men.

Indeed Russell Slade’s side scored all eight goals in a deadly 45-minute burst as substitute Jonathan Tehoue and Scott McGleish both blasted hat-tricks. Defender Ben Chorley was also on target and threw Orient a lifeline with a penalty, before seeing red, while on-loan Spurs star Paul-Jose Mpoku, the architect of the comeback was also on target.

The win booked O’s a third round trip to Norwich City, as well as Chorley seeing red late on, Terrell Forbes was sent off in the first half and both will be suspended for Saturday’s trip to Tranmere.

While referee Graham Scott also sent off Droylsden duo Lee Roche and Nat Kerr, as well as dismissing their manager Dave Pace from the dugout.

Most Read

Droylsden must have thought they had were on their way to a giantkilling after Ciaran Kilheeney and Alex Brown had given them a two-goal lead, especially as O’s had Forbes dismissed on 37 minutes – it was just a shame only 1,324 turned up to see a real cup classic.

There was no hint to the drama that was to unfold as Orient started well and Droylsden struggled to get out of their own half early on.

After five minutes top scorer Alex Revell was unlucky with a cheeky back-heel after the ever-dangerous Mpoku provided the cross.

Seconds later McGleish powered forward and sent a drive from 30 yards thudding against the bar with goalkeeper Paul Phillips beaten all ends up.

But it was the visitors who snatched the lead on six minutes when Jody Banim cossed from the left and Kilheeney saw his first shot blocked by Chorley, but smashed the rebound into the roof of the net.

There seemed to be no real problem for Orient as they continued to press and on 21 minutes looked to have levelled when Jimmy Smith controlled Mpoku’s cross and fired the ball past Phillips, only for the ball to smash against Kerr running back onto the line and stay out.

Liam Brownhill also managed a goalline clearance, before the complexion of the game changed on 37 minutes when Forbes became the first Orient player to see red this season for a rash challenge from behind on Banim on the half-way line, when there was no danger.

O’s still threatened and the ever-willing Charlie Daniels fired a cross just wide as 10-men O’s continued to press.

After the break Tehoue replaced Smith, who was feeling unwell and O’s played with just three at the back in a bid to keep their cup dream alive.

But the gamble looked as if it might fail as Jason Brown had to block a shot from Banim. They warning signs should have been flashing, but on 55 minutes Orient were undone again.

The dangerous Banim saw a shot parried by the home keeper, but Alex Brown followed up to scramble the ball home and the visitors almost grabbed a third, but Banim’s drive was blocked by the home keeper

But 10-men Orient refused to throw in the towel and Tehoue went close on 68 minutes, but Phillips clawed his effort away.

Orient finally found a way back into the tie 14 minutes from time when Mpoku, who was too hot for Droylsden to handle, went down under a challenge from Brownhill.

Referee Scott pointed to the spot and Chorley stepped up to blast the ball into the net.

Suddenly it was game on and the 10 men put the non-league side under intense pressure, especially down the left as Daniels and Mpoku exploited the space.

Droylsden saw the game slipping away from them and there was a further twist seven minutes from time when Kerr saw red for a lunge on Mpoku, who tormented the visitors’ throughout the game.

Now it was 10 v 10 and the momentum swung Orient’s way. Droylsden were just two minutes away from a third round place when Mpoku’s left wing cross was swept home by Tehoue from close range.

But there was still a sting in the tail as in the last minute Chorley picked up his second yellow card of the night and O’s were down to nine.

However, the visitors were out on their feet and when extra time started the nine men continued to pour forward and after just three minutes Mpoku put his side in front for the first time following a superb solo run.

It was too much for the visitors and the next time the young Tottenham winger picked up the ball he was the victim of an x-certificate challenge that earned Roche a red card, sparked confrontation on the two benches and ended with the visiting manager being sent to the stand.

Now it was nine-a-side and within seconds McGleish made it 4-2 and before the interval Mpoku set up Tehoue to make it five.

Orient now in complete control made their superior skill and fitness count with another thee goals in the second half.

Tehoue completed his hat-trick with a stunning strike from outside the area, before McGleish struck twice more to complete the rout.

It must have seemed like a long journey home for the non-league side, who had been so close to a cup shock, but ended up on the wrong end of an eight-goal blitz.