FULL-TIME: Orient 4 Sheffield Wednesday 0 - Orient run riot as Wednesday sink without trace

Four second half goals for super O’s

Orient 4 Sheffield Wednesday 0

ORIENT demolished promotion-chasing Sheffield Wednesday with a four-goal second half as they stormed to their biggest league win of the season.

Ben Chorley started the rout with a penalty, before Harry Kane, Alex Revell and Paul-Jose M’Poku completed the rout against big-spending Wednesday.

Orient manager Russell Slade made just one change to the side that took a point at Rochadle last weekend, with on-loan Tottenham youngster Kane making his first full start in place of Scott McGleish, who dropped to the bench.

In a high tempo start, it was the visitors who created a couple of half chances, before Sheffield Wednesday keeper Nicky Weaver made the first genuine save of the game on nine minues.

O’s defender Ben Chorley met a Dean Cox corner on the volley at the far post, but the Wednesday keeper blocked his effort.

Most Read

The visitors hit back and should have taken the lead on 14 minutes when O’s defender Charlie Daniels headed the ball out of keeper Jamie Jones’ hands.

The ball fell invitingly for Chris Sedgwick to nod into the empty net, but Daniels scrambled back onto the line to head clear.

Then Jones had to make a smart stop at the foot of his post after the dangerous Gary Teale fired in an effort from 25 yards.

Orient hit back and and excellent cross from Daniels was swept into the net by Alex Revell, but the home side’s celebrations were cut short by an offside flag.

As the game swung from end to end, Sedgwick had another great chance to put the visitors ahead on 32 minutes. Teale’s shot was blocked by Jones and the ball spun off the keeper’s legs to the Wednesday midfielder, but he rolled his shot wide of the target.

Sheffield Wednesday made a double substitution at the break with Neil Mellor and Mark Beevers joining the action, but it was Orient who took the lead on 51 minutes from the penalty spot. Revell headed the ball down following a Cox cross and the all bounced up on Teale’s arm and referee Oliver Langford pointed to the spot.

Defender Chorley stepped up and planted the ball into the bottom right hand corner for his fourth of the season.

Four minutes later Orient almost added a second when 17-year-old Kane latched onto a pass from Jimmy Smith and fired in a shot from 14 yards that Weaver tipped away.

But the Tottenham loanee was on the mark 60 seconds later when Cox sent in a free-kick from the left and Revell got a touch, before Kane fired the ball home at the far post.

Kane almost added a his second goal of the game 10 minutes later when Cox whipped in a cross from the left and the youngster sent in a brave diving header that Weaver saved superbly.

But O’s did grab a third 12 minutes from time when leading scorer Revell headed home a free-kick from Daniels.

Slade made a double substition straight away as Revell’s strike was his last taste of the action as he gave way to Jonathan Tehoue, while Paul-Jose M’Poku came on for Cox.

It took M’Poku just three minutes to make an impression as nine minutes from time he took a free-kick from 20 yards that deceived Weaver and bounced over the keeper into the net.

The demotion was complete and the 2,350 shocked visitng fans started to drift away, as Orient continued their march and have lost just one of their last 13 games.

Leyton Orient: Jones, Whing, Chorley, Forbes, Cox (M’Poku 78 mins), Dawson, Revell (Tehoue 78 mins), Daniels, Spring, Smith, Kane (McGleish 70 mins). Subs: Butcher. Brown, Jarvis, Odubajo.

Attendance: 6,449 (including 2,350 Sheffield Wednesday fans)