FULL-TIME: Colchester United 3 Orient 2 - Away jinx continues for Orient

O’s let a two-goal lead slip and are beaten at Colchester

ORIENT tossed away a two-goal lead and were left still search for their first away win in the league since January.

A double strike in the opening 17 minutes from Alex Revell put Orient in a powerful position,but their dreams of breaking that away-day duck were shattered as Colchester came storming back with goals from Matt Heath, a David Mooney penalty and a winner from Brian Wilson 12 minutes from time.

It was a shattering blow for the visitors, who started so well, but their problems were much of their own making as all three Colchester goals came from set pieces.

It was Colchester who made a fast start and three times in the opening three minutes O’s keeper Lee Butcher had to make decent saves.

As Orient came under heavy pressure the hosts forced three corners before the visitors were able to gain some respite.

But it was the O’s who struck first on 10 minutes when Dean Cox floated in a perfect free-kick from the left and lone striker Alex Revell rose magnificently to head home his fifth goal of the season.

Most Read

The goal knocked the stuffing out of the home side and O’s were in dreamland eight minutes later when they scored number two with their second meaningful attack.

Jimmy Smith made a great interception and sent Charlie Daniels away down the right and his cross was swept home by Revell for his second of the game.

But the travelling Orient fans were left chewing their finger nails three minutes later when Matt Heath fired the ball into the Orient net from 10 yards after the O’s had several chances to clear a corner, but failed to do so.

Then, on 30 minutes, O’s saw their two-goal lead wiped out when Andrew Whing, on his debut after joining on loan from Brighton, caught Ashley Vincent from behind and referee Grant Hegley had no hesitation pointing to the spot.

David Mooney stepped up and made no mistake as he fired the ball into the bottom right hand corner of the net.

Whing, was one of two changes to the side that beat Rochdale, as he and Adam Chambers came into the side at the expense of Ryan Jarvis and skipper Stephen Dawson, who failed a fitness check on an ankle injury.

O’s tried to hit back and Cox went close just before the break, but it was the home side who started the second half with a bang and Kayode Odejayi touched an effort onto the post after 47 minutes.

But O’s hit back and after a great move down the right, Whing almost atoned for his earlier error when he powered in a shot that Ben Williams brilliantly tipped away.

As the game opened up Colchester hit back and Matt Spring had to clear an effort off the line.

As the half progressed Colchester started to look dangerous and substitute Liam Henderson tested Butcher twice in as many minutes and it came as no real surprise when Colchester grabbed the lead on 78 minutes.

Brian Wilson was the marksman with a 30-yard free-kick that flew over the Orient wall and into the top of Butcher’s net and past his outstretched left hand.

Substitute Jonathan Tehoue went on a run, but then fired well wideand Adam Chambers went close in stoppage time but the away-day jinx continues.

Orient: Butcher, Omozusi, Chorley, Forbes, Whing, Cox, Spring, Chambers, Smith (Walker 80), Cox, Revell (Tehoue 70 mins). Subs: Jones, Brown, Dawson, Jarvis, Cestor.

Referee: G Hegley.