Front garden waste fire despite council crackdown
Firefighters tackled a front garden blaze in Stratford last night as Newham Council are looking to crack down on the dumping of waste outside homes.
The crew from Stratford prevented the fire from spreading to the front of the terraced house in Strone Road after a mattress left in the front garden set ablaze.
The brigade was called at 10pm and it took about 20 minutes to get the fire under control.
It was the second such incident in ten hours.
At around 7.30am this morning black rubbish bags left at the side of the road outside a terraced house in Corporation Street werre set alight. It is understood a resident managed to put the fire out before the fire crew arrived.
You may also want to watch:
Watch manager at Stratford Fire Station, John Muldoon, warned: “People should be aware not to leave rubbish outside and call the council to collect any rubbish. It’s better to store rubbish at the rear of the property where there is less chance of people causing anti-social behaviour such as throwing a cigarette or deliberately setting rubbish alight.”
Newham Council is currently staging a poster campaign warning residents they could face a �110 fine if rubbish like old mattresses, bath tops,is not removed within 28 days of receiving an enforcement notice.
- 1 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 2 Vandal targets St Antony statue outside church in Forest Gate
- 3 Family of man who died after attack in Canning Town pays tribute to a 'loving, generous' father
- 4 'Concern over reliability of cladding and fire safety assessments'
- 5 Lewis Hamilton-backed vegan burger joint to open in Stratford
- 6 Newham to roll out greener fleet as part of £20m plans
- 7 Teenagers killed in London in 2021 so far nears 2020 total
- 8 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation
- 9 Architects awarded £300K contract for Stratford Station makeover
- 10 Call for 'zero tolerance' crackdown on Newham gangs
Visit www.newham.gov.uk/YourEnvironment/WasteAndRecycling.htm for information on waste collection.