Front garden waste fire despite council crackdown

Firefighters tackled a front garden blaze in Stratford last night as Newham Council are looking to crack down on the dumping of waste outside homes.

The crew from Stratford prevented the fire from spreading to the front of the terraced house in Strone Road after a mattress left in the front garden set ablaze.

The brigade was called at 10pm and it took about 20 minutes to get the fire under control.

It was the second such incident in ten hours.

At around 7.30am this morning black rubbish bags left at the side of the road outside a terraced house in Corporation Street werre set alight. It is understood a resident managed to put the fire out before the fire crew arrived.

Watch manager at Stratford Fire Station, John Muldoon, warned: “People should be aware not to leave rubbish outside and call the council to collect any rubbish. It’s better to store rubbish at the rear of the property where there is less chance of people causing anti-social behaviour such as throwing a cigarette or deliberately setting rubbish alight.”

Newham Council is currently staging a poster campaign warning residents they could face a �110 fine if rubbish like old mattresses, bath tops,is not removed within 28 days of receiving an enforcement notice.

Most Read

Visit www.newham.gov.uk/YourEnvironment/WasteAndRecycling.htm for information on waste collection.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter