Free service in Plaistow to beat number plate theft
- Credit: Archant
A car dealership is offering free anti-tamper screws to combat an increase in number plate thefts.
Dagenham Motors in Plaistow has teamed up with the police to offer the service on February 6 to protect a car’s identity and help prevent petrol station drive-offs and speeding ticket evasion.
Stolen number plates are also used by criminals to provide a false identity for vehicles used in fuel thefts, road tax and insurance avoidance, and burglaries.
Chf Sup Gary Buttercase said: “Theft of number plates is not only illegal; it causes huge inconvenience for the owner of the vehicle.
“We are extremely grateful for the support that Dagenham Motors are providing in our efforts to combat this problem.
You may also want to watch:
“The tamper-proof screws will make it much harder for number plates to be stolen.”
Howard Clifforth, general manager at Dagenham Motors, said: “Swapping out standard screws for the anti-tamper variety is a very quick, yet effective way to deter number plate thieves and we’re very pleased to be able to provide this free service to local motorists.”
- 1 Watch the moment 'stolen' car drives into vehicles in East Ham
- 2 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 3 Kacem Mokrane: Newham man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 4 Steven Fry stabbing: Custom House victim named in murder investigation
- 5 Machetes, zombie and lock knives: Five plead guilty after police seize 128 weapons in Plaistow
- 6 West Ham Academy legend receives honorary doctorate from UEL
- 7 Things to do: Enjoy the last of summer out in east London this weekend
- 8 Depth up front is going to be vital says Leyton Orient boss Jackett
- 9 Silvertown man jailed after police seize drugs with street value of £750k
- 10 Jailed: 'Sadistically cruel' East Ham man who raped, assaulted victim
To get anti-tamper screws for your number plates, visit Dagenham Motors on Plaistow Road from 9am to 5pm on February 6 or call 020 8534 7661.