Free service in Plaistow to beat number plate theft
- Credit: Archant
A car dealership is offering free anti-tamper screws to combat an increase in number plate thefts.
Dagenham Motors in Plaistow has teamed up with the police to offer the service on February 6 to protect a car’s identity and help prevent petrol station drive-offs and speeding ticket evasion.
Stolen number plates are also used by criminals to provide a false identity for vehicles used in fuel thefts, road tax and insurance avoidance, and burglaries.
Chf Sup Gary Buttercase said: “Theft of number plates is not only illegal; it causes huge inconvenience for the owner of the vehicle.
“We are extremely grateful for the support that Dagenham Motors are providing in our efforts to combat this problem.
“The tamper-proof screws will make it much harder for number plates to be stolen.”
Howard Clifforth, general manager at Dagenham Motors, said: “Swapping out standard screws for the anti-tamper variety is a very quick, yet effective way to deter number plate thieves and we’re very pleased to be able to provide this free service to local motorists.”
- 1 Jailed: Teen who inflicted life-changing injuries as he squirted acid in boy's face
- 2 Beckton children’s hospice given £5k to replace stolen garden equipment
- 3 Fake Dyson Airwrap and Primark baby toy among recent recalled items
- 4 New documentary on murders of women whose bodies were hidden in freezer
- 5 'Time to end the injustice': Barts staff set to strike amid pay dispute
- 6 Newham man among UK's 'most wanted fugitives' who may be hiding in Spain
- 7 Man remains in critical condition after Stratford Station attack
- 8 Revealed: Hackney, Islington and Newham are boroughs with most LTNs
- 9 How often do Londoners cycle to work in each borough?
- 10 Coroner concerned with Barts NHS trust after woman 'unlawfully killed'
To get anti-tamper screws for your number plates, visit Dagenham Motors on Plaistow Road from 9am to 5pm on February 6 or call 020 8534 7661.